Museum Ambassador Volunteer (Jackson)
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where222 North StreetJackson, MS 39201
Purpose: To enhance the visitor experience and further the mission of the Museum of Mississippi History (MMH) and the Mississippi Civil Rights Museum (MCRM). Ambassadors may be located at assigned stations, circulating through the museums, or moving with an assigned group.
The Museum of Mississippi History encourages people to explore and appreciate our state’s history. We present rich and complex stories that illustrate how our shared past influences our future together.
The Mississippi Civil Rights Museum promotes a greater understanding of the Mississippi Civil Rights Movement and its impact by highlighting the strength and sacrifices of its people.
Responsibilities may include:
- Connecting with visitors by greeting and communicating pleasantly and effectively
- Providing on-the-spot customer service to visitors
- Giving clear directions to admissions, store, comfort stations, and other areas as needed
- Learning and sharing knowledge about museum exhibits
- Delivering up-to-date information about current exhibits and special events
- Show excellence, integrity, passion, and respect while interacting with visitors
- Enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and sensitive in sharing the Mississippi story
- Ability to interact with the public while remaining courteous at all times
- Agreeable personality and relate well to people of all ages and backgrounds
- Excellent communication and listening skills
- Ability to easily transition from one assigned role to another
- Ambassadors stationed in the store or working at special events may need to lift objects (not more than 25 lbs.)
- Be dependable
Requirements: Successfully complete all training and adhere to appropriate dress code. Except for the 2 Mississippi Museums’ logos or approved messages, clothing, pictures, symbols, and/or wording should not be worn.
Time Commitment: Continuous service assignment (preferred commitment 2 or more shifts per month). Shifts: Tuesdays through Saturdays 9 a.m.-1 p.m. or 1-5 p.m.; Sundays 1-5 p.m. There might be nighttime opportunities for service with special events. Minimum of twenty (20) hours of volunteer service per year are required to remain on the active volunteer list
- The satisfaction of volunteering at two of the most comprehensive history museums in the nation
- Volunteer enrichment/activities provided by MDAH
- A lifelong learning opportunity. All training and training-related materials provided by MDAH
- Documented volunteer service for work or school credit
- A 15% discount in the Mississippi Museum Store
Reports to: 2 Mississippi Museums volunteer coordinator
Next steps: Apply online at http://www.mdah.ms.gov/new/interact/get-involved/volunteer-at-mdah/
Contact: Elizabeth Coleman * email@example.com * 601.576.6985 * www.mdah.ms.gov
The 2 Mississippi Museums are administered by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Relationship Building
- General Education
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 4 hours per shift, minimum 2 shift per month
- Successfully complete all training and adhere to appropriate dress code