Building character starts young and helps determine who a child will become in life. Our programs help develop a child’s unique personality and individual strengths, based on Biblical principles. Character building is The Salvation Army’s scouting program for boys and girls grades 1-12. Troops are divided as follows:
Sunbeams- girls grades 1-5 & Girl Guards- girls grades 6-12
Explorers- boys grades 1-5 & Rangers- boys grades 6-12
Moonbeams- boys and girls pre-k - k
Description of Position:
Volunteer interns will lead or assist one of the designated troops by maintaining and overseeing the troop programming set in the guidelines of the character building program. Training will be provided.
- Be knowledgeable of the character building regulations, policies, and guidelines for your troop outlined in the leader handbook and curriculum provide by the corps officer (Pastor.). Attend any trainings provided.
- Plan and implement the badge work curriculum on a weekly basis. Track and maintain records of badge work for each member.
- Be familiar with any online resources, reports, and paperwork associated with the character building program.
- Keep weekly attendance, statistics, inventory of supplies, fill out reports, or any other record of information needed and report to corps officer.
- Be responsible for the care and up keep of the physical classroom environment.
- If possible, communicate with parents/guardians on the progress of children and the ongoing activities of the program. Seek approval from corps officer before communicating.
- Participate in any needed responsibilities of corps leadership beyond the classroom, which may include but not be limited to, leadership meetings, trainings, volunteering at events related to character building and your troop members, etc.
- Complete required Safe From Harm training, and keep in accordance with the guidelines.
- Regularly stay in contact with the corps officer (Pastor) for instruction and feedback.
- Commit to praying regularly for troop members.
- Cleared background check
- Ability to commit to the time requirements
- A sincere and genuine faith in Christ and a passion to serve Him.
- Possess sound Biblical knowledge
- Knowledgeable of Salvation Army doctrine
- Maintain up to date with Safe From Harm certification; training is required.
- Well organized, leadership abilities, capable of planning and teaching curriculum
- A desire to work with youth from the community
- To go above and beyond classroom instruction to actively seek positive relationships with troop members to impact them spiritually.
- The joys of part-taking in the faith journey of others as they discover God & His word.
- The privilege of teaching skills and general knowledge to youth that will impact them in the future.
- The opportunity to use your creativity and unique talents and knowledge in service to youth in the community.
- To be a part of corps leadership and to participate in the holistic ministry of the entire corps.
Opportunity start and end dates: Typically follows the school year calendar. This opportunity is ongoing, or whatever is agreed upon by individual and corps officer.
Schedule (days, times/shifts): Weekly, during a designated week day evening
Length of Commitment: Typically follows the school year calendar. This opportunity is ongoing, or whatever is agreed upon by individual and corps officer.
Location: Various locations in need through out the Twin Cities Metro
- Child Development
- Relationship Building
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Intern project based, terms to be agreed upon
- Salvation Army - Virginia, MN
- Librarian -- Downtown Minneapolis
- Food Shelf Stocker or Escort --...
- Friday Food Distribution -- East...
- Salvation Army - Willmar, MN
- Book Club Volunteer -- Downtown...
- Salvation Army - Albert Lea, MN
- Salvation Army - Austin, MN
- Meal Serving/Lunch Program...
- Birthday Party Volunteer --...
- Salvation Army - Minot, ND
- Salvation Army - Rochester, MN
- Food Shelf Stocker - St. Paul
- Food Service Kitchen Assistant -...
- Salvation Army - St. Cloud, MN
- Salvation Army - Mankato, MN
- Food Shelf Helper - Minneapolis
- Free Produce Distributor
- Salvation Army - International...
- Salvation Army - Jamestown, ND