Agency Description: The Family Violence Law Center is a non-profit organization committed to ending domestic violence and abuse in Alameda County. We offer preventive education, crisis intervention and legal support to our clients.
FVLC's Volunteer Program is designed to provide interested students and community members with hands-on experience in crisis intervention counseling, civil restraining order eligibility assessment and community education. Volunteers also will be provided with education about and exposure to the fields of domestic violence-related legal services, social work, psychology, and law enforcement.
The volunteer program is designed to provide students and community members with work skills and practical information they can use to enhance their studies or careers. Volunteers will learn the practical aspects of supportive non-judgmental crisis intervention, will partake in a project researching social programs and resources for victims of domestic violence, and will help with the agency's data collection. Volunteers will make a difference in the lives of domestic violence survivors!
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Crisis Line: Answer the agency crisis line and provide callers with crisis counseling, information, and referrals to other agencies as needed.
- Client Intakes: Screen inquiries from potential legal clients, complete the legal intake form, schedule and confirm client appointments.
- Reception: Cover the front desk reception area. Duties include answering the phone promptly, greeting visitors, and checking the general voicemail and email.
- Client Data Entry: Assist with data entry of client intake sheets into the FVLC client database.
- Other duties as assigned by Administrative Director or Intake/Volunteer Coordinator.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to:
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Basic Computer Skills
- Administrative Support
- Crisis Counseling
- Crisis Intervention
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- One year commitment for 4 hours a week