Hockey in the Hood is an outreach program based in Patterson Park in East Baltimore. The program is operated by The Tender Bridge, a Maryland 501(c)3 organization. Participants are boy ages 12 to 19, most of whom are residents of the area around Patterson Park in East Baltimore. Kids are chosen for their participation based on one or more of the following criteria:
- At-risk status
- Unable to afford mainstream sports programs
- Strong need for constructive diversion and association with positive role models
Though our core activity is learning and playing ice hockey, we also are engaged in urban trail hikes, museum visits, bowling, and other interactive programming. Our emphasis is on helping the kids feel better about themselves. This is accomplished not only through success in learning a complex athletic skill, but also through providing each child with earnest attention from volunteers who display a regular commitment to them.
NOTE: Hockey or skating experience are NOT required!
Our program includes:
- Transportation for all youth participants
- Free use of equipment for youth participants
- Snacks and beverages
- Optional independent activities with volunteers
- Holiday party
- Volunteer Gatherings
We strive for a volunteer-to-child ratio of 1 to 3. Last program year, we attracted 30 kids and 11 volunteers.
- Website Project Management
- Youth Services
- Community Outreach
- Sports Coaching
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hours per week
- Optional: Willingness to transport kids to and from games and practices.