3 people are interested
The International Rescue Committee is the leading nonsectarian, voluntary organization providing relief, protection and resettlement services for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. The IRC is committed to freedom, human dignity, and self-reliance. This commitment is reflected in well-planned resettlement assistance, global emergency relief, rehabilitation, and advocacy for refugees. Founded in 1933, the IRC is a global leader in emergency relief, rehabilitation, protection of human rights, post-conflict development, resettlement services and advocacy for those uprooted or affected by conflict and oppression. The resettlement office in Salt Lake City provides services to approximately 535 newly arriving refugees per year.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The case management programs includes providing core services to new arrivals, and helping clients work towards self-sufficiency during their first two years in the U.S. in the areas of health, employment, finances, DWS, education, housing, family and community. Casework interns work closely with casework supervisors throughout their internship, assisting and learning about all aspects of the casework program.
- Shadowing a Casework Manager for two-weeks at start of internship on the following new arrival services: airport pickup, home safety orientation, grocery shopping, applying for various benefits at government offices
- Assist with Core Services: ESL enrollments, benefits acquisition, transportation, etc.
- Train clients on use of public transportation to access IRC offices, school, benefits offices, etc.
- Fulfill at least one 2 hour front desk shift per month
- Currently pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree or recent graduate
- Previous experience with an ESL population
- Previous experience in education preferred
- Willing to learn about IRC history, philosophy, global work, and local efforts; adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies
- Willing to take on new things and learn as they go
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in English; additional fluency in a refugee language preferred
- Reliable, independent, and able to take on a project assignment and ask for help when needed
- IRC orientation and background check required
We'll work with your schedule.
221 S 400 WSalt Lake City, UT 84110
- Problem Solving
- Case Work / Management
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 15-40 hours a week for at least 10 weeks