Position: Public Health Intern (unpaid)
Employer: Champions for Health (CFH)
Reports to: Volunteer Coordinator
Champions for Health is a nonprofit organization (Tax ID #95-2568714) dedicated to help those without or limited access to healthcare. Our internship provides an unparalleled opportunity for professional growth and development and will prepare the intern to be an ambassador in their profession. Interns will have frequent contact public health experts, physicians, civically-minded health professionals and health organizations. Interns will have the opportunity to aid our mission to provide pro bono specialty care, conduct field research and work along staff dedicated towards a healthy San Diego.
A public health intern is responsible for providing leadership for the development, implementation, and assessment of health education and health promotion programs in cooperation and collaboration with our community partners. We aim to empower interns to take active roles in the health and wellness of their community.
Participate in and encourage development in our health education programs to meet the needs of the underserved of San Diego. Establish contact with voluntary and private agencies to encourage assistance with preventative health education and pro bono specialty care.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under supervision, the Public Health Intern will:
- Coordinate outreach projects that promote health, and wellness education program activities
- Assess and evaluate programs, perform research on relevant topics, and revise presentation materials as appropriate
- Assist with Project Access patient care coordination (if bilingual in Spanish)
- Present lectures and training to groups and/or individuals, as appropriate
- Participate in the development of marketing and promotional goals and strategies, as appropriate
- Serve as a health promotion and community liaison
- Serve on taskforce as assigned
- Perform additional job-related duties as assigned
- Near completion of undergraduate or graduate degree, preferred, in community health education, public health, health promotion or health sciences.
- Excellent writing, editing and oral communication skills.
- Fluent in Spanish is a plus but not required
- Time commitment: 4 or more hours a week at our office in Kearney Mesa. Flexibility to work some weekends for events.
- Strong calling to support the underserved through health and medicine.
If interested please email resume/ CV to Andrew.Gonzalez@championsfh.org to be considered for an interview.
- Case Work / Management
- Patient Care
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- Once a week at our office, ideally 8 hours a week