Tahirih Justice Center hosts a weekly counseling session for our courageous immigrant women and girl clients. Our organization would need two volunteers during these sessions. Sessions are on Tuesdays from 9:30 AM to 12:00 PM.
- Welcome all visitors to the children's room and offer supervision of free play/art time during counseling session nearby.
- Engage with our client children as they participate in projects, offer instruction and assistance, ensure their needs are met
- Ensure child safety and trauma-informed play
- Maintain Children's Room cleanliness and stock materials (markers, sharpen pencils, print age appropriate coloring pages).
- Inform Volunteer Coordinator or Operations Associate if child safety or space needs repair.
Volunteers will be trained in trauma-informed care, best practices in age appropriate free play, how to speak to immigrant children, and cleanliness standards.
- Individual who loves working with children and their families.
- Passion for early childhood education and art
- The ability to speak both Spanish and English
- Age 18 and older
- Outgoing, energetic, enthusiastic, patient, and flexible
- Availability every Tuesdays from 9:30am to 12:00 noon.
To apply, please fill out our general volunteer form at Volunteer at Tahirih Justice Center. A manditory 3 hour training is required for all new volunteers. This training will encompass trauma-informed care, developmental stages in children, and an overall view of our organization. For questions about this volunteer posting, please contact Piyu Sen, Volunteer Coordinator, at PiyuS@tahirih.org or (832)371-6964.
- Child Care
- Immigration Law
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2.5 hours weekly, minumum 2-3 shifts every month.
- Previous experience with high energy children, calming nature, creative