AHC Inc. is among the largest developers of affordable and mixed-income housing in the Washington-Baltimore metro region. Since its founding 40 years ago in Arlington, VA, AHC Inc. has developed nearly 7,000 quality affordable homes to help families and individuals build stable lives and strong futures. As the need for affordable housing has grown, AHC Inc. has expanded beyond our Arlington roots to also serve communities in Montgomery County, Baltimore, Washington, DC, Alexandria and Fairfax County. We provide homes for more than 18,000 people. Each year, our Resident Services program supports thousands of children, families and senior citizens through on-site programs. Our continued growth could not have happened without our many dedicated and enthusiastic supporters, donors, volunteers, community groups, and business and government partners.
AHC's Arlington Resident Services program began more than 20 years ago and focuses primarily on comprehensive education programs for elementary through high school students. The program also provides community connections and onsite programs to help adults strengthen their economic stability and build stronger futures for themselves and their families.
The Afterschool Program for elementary school students exists to:
* Provide a safe, supervised environment for students after school until working parents return home
* Encourage academic achievement among the participating children, support their school-day learning and provide the help they need so that every child develops strong English language skills and reads at grade level before entering middle school
* Provide a caring environment where nurturing relationships with adults and other youth build self-confidence and strong social skills
* Teach habits that encourage physical and emotional health.
Community volunteers for the 2017-2018 school year starting September 20th are being recruited for the following community centers to work one on one or with a small group (3-4) of elementary aged students (k-5 th grade) supporting them with homework completion, studying for test, and/or building literacy skills from 5-6PM Monday- Thursday. Volunteers are asked to commit to one day a week for an hour for the entire school year. More days or hours are welcomed if volunteers are interested..
- Fort Henry Community Center located at 2470 S. Lowell St.
- Harvey Hall Community Center located at 850 S. Greenbrier St
- Virginia Gardens Community Center located 1718 S. Taylor St
- Literacy / Reading
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Volunteers are asked to commit to one day a week