Volunteer Position: After School Tutor/Mentor
Purpose: To tutor and mentor one child between the grades of Kindergarten - 5th grade to help them approve their academic success in literacy and/or math.
Training: Attend a 2 hour pre-service training and participate in at least one additional 2 hour training per year. Contact Jessica Hayes at firstname.lastname@example.org for training dates.
Location: LYN House, 1155 Tecumseh St. Indianapolis, IN
Hours of Tutoring: Tuesdays and Thursdays 4:15 - 5:30.
Time Commitment: After a volunteer has been matched with a student, the volunteer should commit to one or two days a week until the duration of the academic school year.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities:
- Helping the student with assigned homework if applicable for no more than 20 minutes.
- Helping the student improve academic performance in literacy through reading and writing activities for at least 20 minutes
- Helping the student improve academic performance in determined area of need.
- Selecting materials and approaches that are suitable to the student’s skill level and needs and giving praise whenever the student is successful.
- Maintaining records of the time spent with student and notes on their progress.
- Helping the student develop confidence and a positive attitude toward learning by affirming their thinking and progress in the lesson.
- Encouraging the student to respond to difficult materials by being supportive.
- Seeking to understand the psychological, emotional, and physical problems that may cause a student to have difficulty learning to read.
- Rewarding the child with a special tutoring session for their hard work once a semester.
- Willingness to tutor other children when needed.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Dependable and prompt.
- Interested in and enjoys relating to a variety of people.
- Willingness to maintain confidentiality.
- Literate (professional training is unnecessary).
- Flexible, friendly, patient and optimistic.
- Enjoy working with children
- Must pass background check.
- Literacy / Reading
- Relationship Building
- Faith-based Leadership
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 17
- Orientation or Training
- 1-2 hours per week