English for Advancement is a new JVS program that provides vocational English classes and job search services to non-native English speakers whose goal is to find employment. In addition to English classes, clients receive career coaching including job search assistance, resume and cover letter writing and interview preparation.
Classes will be held in the mornings from 10am-1pm Mon, Wed ,Fri
9am-12:30am on Tues & Thursdays
Assist the teacher of vocational English class for immigrants and refugees by working with individuals and small groups of students who need extra support. Topics include improving English and communication skills to obtain employment, job search and job retention techniques, orientation to the American workplace, financial literacy and life skills. This is a multi-level class, so the volunteer will work with low-level literacy students some days, and higher-level conversational students on other days.
- ESOL teaching or tutoring experience preferred, but not required.
- Comfortable working with all levels of English learning.
- Willing to jump right in and help wherever needed.
- Fluency in English required, proficiency in other languages preferred, but not required.
- Interest in working with people of various linguistic, cultural, religious, ethnic and national backgrounds.
- Flexibility-responsibilities will vary on a day-to-day basis.
- Empathy for the challenges of learning a new culture and a new language.
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 3-9 hours per week, 3 month minimum