ESOL Teaching Assistant, downtown Boston
32 people are interested
English for Advancement is a program that provides vocational English classes and job search services to non-native English speakers whose goal is to find employment. In addition to English classes, clients receive career coaching including job search assistance, resume and cover letter writing and interview preparation.
Tues & Thurs 8:30-10:45am, and Fri 9am-12:30pm
Volunteers are requested to volunteer 1 class a week.
Assist the teacher of vocational English class for immigrants and refugees by working with individuals and small groups of students who need extra support. Topics include improving English and communication skills to obtain employment, job search and job retention techniques, orientation to the American workplace, financial literacy and life skills. This is a multi-level class, so the volunteer will work with low-level literacy students some days, and higher-level conversational students on other days.
- Teaching or tutoring experience preferred, but not mandatory.
- Experience working with English language learners preferred.
- Comfortable working with all levels of English learning.
- Willing to jump right in and help wherever needed.
- Fluency in English required
- Interest in working with people of various linguistic, cultural, religious, ethnic and national backgrounds.
- Flexibility-responsibilities will vary on a day-to-day basis.
- Empathy for the challenges of learning a new culture and a new language.
We'll work with your schedule.
75 Federal St.3rd FloorBoston, MA 02110
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Adult Education
- People Skills
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Tues & Thurs 8:30-10:45am, and Fri 9am-12:30pm. Volunteers are requested to volunteer 1 class a week.