Looking for a meaningful service opportunity in the mountains of Virginia?
1 person is interested
Full-time, live-in volunteer caregivers staff Innisfree’s residential houses. These caregivers live side-by-side with Innisfree’s residents with intellectual disabilities, known as coworkers. Caregivers manage households and provide personal care to the coworkers who live there. Caregivers also work with coworkers in Innisfree’s therapeutic workstations, which include a bakery, community kitchen, art studio, farm, vegetable garden, herb garden, woodshop and weavery.
A potential volunteer caregiver must be:
- At least 21 years old
- Able to make at least a one-year commitment of service
- Willing to abide by Innisfree’s zero-tolerance policy for illegal substances
- Patient and empathetic
- Flexible and positive
- Interested in living in a rural setting
Innisfree does not require volunteer caregiver applicants to have experience working with people with disabilities or in specific workstation areas. On-the-job training is provided.Benefits
Each volunteer caregiver receives:
- Room and board (accommodations and all meals)
- Monthly stipend of $315
- Access to community vehicles
- 15 days of paid vacation per year ($50 per day)
- 5 days of unpaid vacation per year (3 around Christmas, 1 around Thanksgiving, and 1 around Easter)
- 2 days off each week
- Access to onsite fitness facility
- Severance pay upon completion of term of service ($65 per month of service for first-year volunteers)
- Support for student loan deferral
- Training in first aid, CPR, medical assistance, and personal care
Each volunteer caregiver enjoys the following amenities:
- Private bedroom in family-style home
- Bathroom shared with 1 to 2 others
- Kitchen, dining area, living room, and laundry room shared with all house residents
- TV, VCR, and DVD player in living room
- Access to WiFi
- Access to a community house in Charlottesville if caregivers are interested in spending their days off in the city
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Innisfree Village Inc.
5505 Walnut Level Road, Crozet, VA 22932, US
We are dedicated to a lifesharing model of living which means that residents and their volunteer caregivers live as families in the community's 15 houses. In this close-knit environment, people develop profound relationships based on mutual needs, respect, and love.
Innisfree Village is a fully licensed, residential community with adults with intellectual disabilities. Founded in 1971, this nonprofit, nonsectarian, therapeutic farm community is located on 550 acres in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains outside the university town of Charlottesville, Virginia.
We'll work with your schedule.
5505 WALNUT LEVEL ROADCROZETCROZET, VA 22932
- People Skills
- Mental Health
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 1 year