Job Title: Writing Group Mentor
Purpose: The writing group mentor coordinates and facilitates ongoing group meetings for the SLCC Community Writing Center's (CWC) DiverseCity Writing Series. As a mentor you have the opportunity to create an atmosphere where writers can share their work and receive thoughtful feedback. This helps enable the CWC’s mission of promoting writing and diversity within the community. Volunteer mentors find that their own writing improves as they assist others in their writing.
Location: Asian Association 155 S 300 W, Salt Lake City, UT 84101
- Track group meetings
- Provide prompts and constructive feedback to group participants
- Participate in group with your writing
- Be inviting to and collaborative with community writers
- Understand group dynamics while being flexible, nonjudgmental, and creative
- Assist in yearly group publication
Time Commitment: Asian Association meets every Thursday from 10:45 am - 12 pm. We ask that group mentors commit to a minimum of six months of service.
Group mentors will report to the DiverseCity Writing Series program coordinator and our community partner the Asian Association of Utah.
A qualified mentor will be interested in the writing process, sensitive to diverse populations, patient, dependable, and open-minded. This group also requires a mentor experienced with (or interested in gaining experience with) English Language Learners. Experience with refugee and immigrant communities is also a plus.
Orientation and training for this position will be provided by the SLCC Community Writing Center.
Thank you for your interest in strengthening our community of writers with your time and talents!
- Literacy / Reading
- Reading / Writing
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- Approx. 6 hours a month; six-month minimum
- Orientation and training provided by SLCC Community Writing Center