30 people are interested
Make someone's last moments their best moments. Become a Hospice Volunteer!
ORGANIZATION: Hospice of the Midwest
Please visit the new page to apply.
30 people are interested
Hospice of the Midwest is currently in search of hospice volunteers available to provide support to patients and their loved ones. Our office is located in Johnston, IA but serves the Des Moines metro as well as 9 surrounding counties. There are many different opportunities for volunteering:
1) Direct care: spending time with patients to provide socialization and companionship, playing games, giving family members a break, vigil support, playing music, looking through magazines with pictures, go through family photo albums lending a listening ear and emotional support, prepare light meals, or run an errand
2) Pet therapy: pet must be licensed and up to date on vaccines
3) Office setting: clerical tasks, put together welcome kits, bereavement support letters, organizing supplies, etc.
4) Crafts: making a special blanket for veterans that come on service, personalized and hand-made cards for special holidays (Christmas, Valentine's Day, etc.)
Since hospice volunteers spend time in patients’ and families’ homes, our hospice program has an application and interview process to ensure each volunteer is well suited for this type of work. Hospice programs also have an organized training program for their patient care volunteers. Since we service several counties, training and volunteer opportunities can be accomodated to a location of your choosing. Areas covered by these training programs include understanding hospice care, maintaining confidentiality, listening skills, identifying signs and symptoms of approaching death, coping with loss, grief, and bereavement support.
All Hospice of the Midwest volunteers are required to complete the Hospice Volunteer Training Program, pass a background check, and have a negative TB (tuberculosis) test prior to having any patient contact. All are provided at no cost to the volunteer.
To apply follow this link: Volunteers | Hospice of the Midwest
About Hospice of the Midwest
9249 Northpark Dr., Johnston, IA 50131, US
The Mission for Hospice of the Midwest is to treat all those that we come in contact with (patients, caregivers, fellow employees, referral sources, vendors and payors) the way we would want to be treated.
Hospice of the Midwest is dedicated to providing individuals what they need to ensure the best quality of life during a difficult time. We are committed to recognizing that individuals and families are the true experts in their own care. It is a privilege to bring in our team of health professionals to offer personalized services for each patient and their loved ones in preparation for this chapter in their life; to not merely experience sorrow but rather a deeper understanding of life.
Hospice of the Midwest focuses on enhancing the patient's quality of life, preserving the patient's dignity, and dealing with the patient's end-of-life issues. Our team of professionals provide education for the patient, family, and community to encourage the use of hospice services wherever you are.
9249 Northpark Dr.Johnston, IA 50131
February 13, 2024
- Office Reception
- Hospice Care
- Music Therapy
- Bereavement Support
- Relationship Building
- Patient Care
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Time commitment varies with our patients' needs.