Does your pet enjoy people? Would you like to bring joy to others in a fun and simple way? VITAS invites you and your pet to become PAW Pals and visit VITAS hospice patients in nursing homes or assisted living facilities in your community. Pets provide friendship and show unconditional love to hospice patients. People who have had to give up their pets miss the companionship and devotion that only animals can provide. Your visits leave behind memories of you and your pet, and rekindle thoughts of other pets. All kinds of pets are invited to join VITAS' PAW Pals. ALL Volunteers must attend a 2 day Orientation to gain the knowledge you will need to work with terminally ill patients. These are held every other month on 2 consecutive Saturdays. Obedience training, certification or VITAS Scrreening required. We must also have a copy of animal's immunization records.
- Animal Therapy
- Animal Care / Handling
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 1-2 weekly visits, generally 1-2 hrs + travel time
- 2017 Orientations: Nov 4 & 18, 2018: Jan 13 & 20, Mar 3 & 10, May 19 & 26, Jul 14 & 21, Sep 1 & 8
- A Hospice Cosmetology Volunteer
- A Hospice Patient Care Volunteer
- A Hospice "Life Review" Volunteer
- A Hospice Veteran Volunteer
- A Hospice Telephone Assurance...
- Administrative Hospice Volunteer
- A Hospice Alternative Therapy...
- A Hospice Volunteer-Teen Program
- A Hospice Bereavement Volunteer
- A Hospice Memory Bear Sewer
- A Hospice "Paw Pal" Pet Volunteer