Citizen Schools Eighth Grade Academy Building Bridges Writing and Mentoring Program Overview: Through the Building Bridges Writing and Mentoring Program, 8th grade students work on a variety of real-world assignments that help them develop personal and professional communication skills. As part of the program, students meet 1:1 with a volunteer Coach from the community on a biweekly basis. Coaches serve as both mentor and tutor, supporting students on developing their written and verbal skills and navigating their last year in middle school.
Students Served: 8th grade students attending the Browne Middle School in Chelsea, MA
The Need: The Browne Middle School has a large population of students who are new-to-the-country and/or developing their English language proficiency who participate in the Building Bridges Program. Citizen Schools is looking to engage 25+ bilingual English/Spanish volunteers to serve as Coaches for the 2017-2018 school year.
Time Commitment: October-May, biweekly Wednesdays, 2:30-4:00
Locations for Building Bridges Program: Several options to choose from...
- Cambridge Associates Office, 125 High School, Boston (Financial District)
- State Street Office, 1 Lincoln Street, Boston (Downtown Crossing)
- TripAdvisor Office, 226 Causeway Street, Boston (North Station)
- Wayfair Office, 4 Copley Place, Boston (Copley Mall)
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- biweekly on Wed., 2:45-4:15, Oct-May 2017-2018
- Commitment to closing the opportunity gap for disenfranchised youth.