Volunteer ESOL Tutor: Interact with People from Around the World!
47 people are interested
Volunteer tutors work one-on-one with adult English learners. Sessions are usually one hour, once a week, and focus on conversation practice, reading, writing review, homework support, etc. Conversation prompts and other materials are provided. Working with a tutor gives ESOL students an opportunity to get acquainted with another English speaker and to learn about American culture. Tutors often volunteer at the YMCA International Learning Center to complete service-learning, practicum, or internship requirements. Note this is an unpaid volunteer opportunity, but invaluable experience working with immigrant and refugee populations of Greater Boston.
Hours tutors are needed:12:00 pm - 6:00 pm Monday-Thursday, and 12:00 pm - 3:30 pm on Fridays.
- Comfortable tutoring beginner, intermediate, or advanced English speakers.
- Willingness to consistenly meet at least one student for 6-8 weeks.
- Prior ESL teaching/tutoring experience beneficial, but not required.
- Bilingual beneficial, but not required.
- Ability to provide patience, sensitivity, and understanding when interacting with students from different cultures, nationalities, class, abilities, etc.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
We'll work with your schedule.
201 Devonshire StreetFloor VBoston, MA 02110
- Adult Education
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1 hour once a week