Volunteer ESOL Tutor
58 people are interested
Volunteer tutors work one-on-one with adult English learners. Sessions are usually one hour, once a week, and focus on conversation practice, reading, writing review, homework support, etc. Conversation prompts and other materials are provided. Working with a tutor gives ESOL students an opportunity to get acquainted with another English speaker and to learn about American culture. Tutors often volunteer at the YMCA International Learning Center to complete service-learning, practicum, or internship requirements. Note this is an unpaid volunteer opportunity, but invaluable experience working with immigrant and refugee populations of Greater Boston.
The hours in the most demand are:12:00 pm - 6:00 pm Monday-Thursday, and 12:00 pm - 3:30 pm on Fridays. There are additional volunteer times available and some Saturday options as well.
- Comfortable tutoring beginner, intermediate, or advanced English speakers.
- Willingness to consistently meet with a student for a minimum 3 week period.
- Prior ESL teaching/tutoring experience beneficial, but not required.
- Bilingual beneficial, but not required.
- Ability to provide patience, sensitivity, and understanding when interacting with students from different cultures, nationalities, class, abilities, etc.
We'll work with your schedule.
100 Franklin StreetLower LevelBostonBoston, MA 02110
- Adult Education
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Teaching / Instruction
- Relationship Building
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1 hour once a week.