We are looking for enthusiastic, creative and qualified cooks to assist in running and/or leading our kitchen. Located in the beautiful coastal redwoods of Sonoma County in northern California, this year-round residential work-study opportunity allows your skills and enthusiasm to flourish. We are a vegetarian kitchen in a remote location in the woods, which can prove a challenge for some and an adventure to others!
We know that culinary experience can vary, but we are looking for more than just culinary skill, we are also looking for someone who would be a good fit to join our Buddhist-practicing community for a minimum commitment of 6 months. As we rotate staff, even those with minimal culinary training, but the ability to follow a recipe and the willingness and discipline to learn would find themselves welcome in our program!
- Working with a team to prepare buffet-style vegetarian meals for 20-60 guests and staff per meal period to include hot and cold entrees and salads, desserts, brunch etc
- Food prep
- Cleaning of station, kitchen, and dishes used for cooking
- Buffet set-up
- Past experience working in a kitchen and/or Culinary Certification
- Appreciation for Vegetarian cuisine
- Reliable and hard-working
- Organized with an attention to detail
- Experience with International Cuisine is a plus
- Baking skills are always welcome!
- Creative and flexible in a rapidly changing environment
- Open-mindedness and understanding of multiple dietary needs and restrictions
- Willingness to work as part of a team and patience with volunteer staff
As a volunteer in our program, you will receive:
- Free housing in a cozy cabin (2 person occupancy) with private bath, outdoor deck, gas fireplace (2-3 persons per cabin).
- Free laundry facilities, Wi-Fi and domestic phone calls (remember landlines? You get your very own cabin phone!)
- Free vegetarian meals (make your own breakfast), tea and coffee
- Monthly living allowance of $150 per month
- Free morning and evening classes in a variety of Buddhist studies, Meditation, Skillful Means (how work can be a path to inner knowledge), Buddhist history and philosophy, and Kum Nye (Tibetan Yoga/Thai Chi) Some of these classes are guided, others are self-study.
- Opportunity to engage in an environment where meaningful work and self-development are valued
- Clean, fresh air, wide-open spaces, natural beauty, close proximity to hiking trails and the Pacific Ocean
- The support of a caring, actively engaged community that encourages and builds meaningful interpersonal relationships
Our weekly schedule is rigorous--6 days a week--and rewarding! This is a unique opportunity to get away from the daily grind and unplug, and live surrounded by nature, with little to no cell service but plenty of books, quiet spaces, and more stars at night than you can count.
Minimum commitment is 6 months. No religious affiliation required, but we are seeking people who have a sincere interest in Buddhism and exploring work as a path to inner freedom. Couples are welcome to apply.
Visit our website at volunteer.ratnaling.org for more information and to find our application. You can also find us on Facebook at Ratna Ling Volunteer.
Submit application and resume to email@example.com.
- Cooking / Catering
- Event Management
- Food & Beverage Services
- Event Planning / Management
- Food Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 30
- 6 months