Job Description: Teach one-to-one tutoring sessions with adult students at libraries throughout New Castle County, Delaware.
Time commitment: At least 60 hours in total.
- Meet once or twice a week with a student for 1.5 - 2 hours to tutor them in ESL, Reading, Writing or Basic Math. To meet the terms of our grant, tutors need to commit to, and students need to attend, tutoring sessions for a total of 60 hours. With consistent weekly meetings, it usually takes approximately 6 months for a student to receive 60 hours of instruction. Students are given two tests. First, a placement test will be given to measure their skills when they first enter the program. When they have obtained 60 hours of instructional time they will be tested again to measure the growth of their knowledge. Testing our students is a way to measure quantifiable growth and advancement of their skills. It is also a way for us as teachers and tutors to see what our students know and where they need help.
- Keep track of student attendance hours through Google Sheets or an alternate designated form.
- Email attendance hour forms biweekly to our data collection department. (If you are unable to submit your hours through Google Sheets or email we will arrange another way for you). These hours go into a student database. Based on your student's post-test score after 60 hours of instruction, your student will receive a certificate from the Delaware Department of Education if they have gained a skill level.
- Complete on-line tutor training sessions and attend tutor training orientation.
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Reading / Writing
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1.5-2 hours a day, 1-2 days a week