South Bronx United (SBU) is seeking energetic individuals with a passion for youth development and sports to join our team as SBU Coach-Mentors. In the position the individual will serve as the Team Mentor and Head Coach for a team of high school girls within the SBU Academy Program. As a mentor, the individual serves as the first point of contact for any issues regarding SBU student athletes on the team and as a positive influence promoting education, character, and community. As a coach, the individual will run soccer trainings and manage games, keeping youth active, having fun, and growing as players, while also reinforcing core SBU values on the field.
This is a part time position requiring approximately 10-12 hours/week.
As a Team Mentor & Coach, the individual will perform the following duties at South Bronx United:
- Serve as first point of staff level contact for a group of approx 20 student athletes
- Help plan, set, and keep students on their program schedule
- Maintain weekly contact with each student in person and via phone,
- Maintain regular contact with each student’s parent/guardian
- Help SBU Education Director monitor student academic performance, and assist in the collection of student report cards, transcripts, and school documents,
- Work with SBU Youth Counselor and Education Director to identify social, emotional, and academic issues or concerns
- Check email daily and maintain good communication with SBU office staff
- Enforce attendance and program policies
- Schedule a weekly call with SBU office staff to discuss progress of each student athlete on the team
- Schedule 1 monthly in person meeting with SBU office staff
- Serve as a head coach for 1 SBU travel soccer team, planning and leading training sessions, coaching at games, and travelling with students to games and events.
- Track attendance and statistics from soccer sessions every week
- Complete progress reports for each mentee two times per year.
- Attend program orientation/training (2 trainings per year)
South Bronx United, 594 Grand Concourse, Suite 2, Bronx, NY 10451
Coaches must be able to commit to coaching for at least one program year, August 1, 2017 - July 1, 2018 and approximately 10-12 hours per week. The precise schedule will be known ahead of each season (fall, winter, spring). Here are the general schedule details:
- 2 practices a week, (generally T/Th, 6-8pm in fall/spring, winter schedule TBD)
- Weekend games (generally Sundays)
- Weekly phone call with program coordinator (flexible TBD w/SBU staff)
- 1 in person meeting per month (flexible TBD w/SBU staff)
Coaches will receive a stipend of $5,000.
Enthusiastic to work with youth, committed to holistic youth development with a strong knowledge of soccer. Previous coaching experience is preferred but not a necessity.
How to Apply
Please provide a brief cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
South Bronx United uses soccer as a tool for social change. South Bronx United aims to help youth build character, teamwork, and leadership so that they can succeed in high school, college, careers, their community and beyond. South Bronx United strives to promote educational achievement, health and wellness, and character development through activities on and off the soccer field and to unite a diverse group of individuals and an incredibly diverse community toward common positive goals.
Learn more about South Bronx United at www.southbronxunited.org
- Sports Coaching
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 10-12 hours per week
- Non Profit Development Internship
- College Prep Tutor - SAT Prep
- Volunteer Coordinator -...
- Strategic Development Internship
- Academic Coach (After School...
- AmeriCorps Vista Development and...
- Soccer Coach-Mentor: SBU Global...
- ESOL Tutor
- College Prep Tutor - Seniors
- College Prep Mentor
- Travel Soccer Coach & Mentor
- Head Coach & Mentor for Girls...
- Non-Profit Data Systems...
- Girls Soccer Coach & Mentor
- After School Soccer Coach
- College Prep Tutor - Sophomores
- AmeriCorps UP2US Coach & Mentor
- College Advisory Internship
- Education Internship
- Youth Recreational Soccer Coach