- Job Title: Job Lab Peer Counselor
Tasks and Responsibilities: This volunteer will aid incoming patrons with their job searches by performing any of the following tasks as needed.
- Peer-to-peer career counseling
- Computer assistance (typing, creating email accounts, etc.)
- Resume writing and editing
- Job search assistance
- Conducting mock interviews
- Purpose and Impact: The Anchorage Public Library initiated the Job Lab in 2015 to offer patrons much-needed assistance in their job searches. There are over 12,000 unemployed persons in our city, yet few other programs offer personalized career counseling without time constraints. Peer counselors are vital team members at the Job Lab because they provide one-on-one aid and ensure that every patron is helped. By the end of every Job Lab, we estimate each Peer Counselor will have provided 2-3 patrons with the service they need to secure employment.
- Required Skills: Comfortable typing and browsing the Internet. You don’t need to be an expert on the employment market, and can learn how to complete many of the above tasks on the job!
- Preferred Attributes: Volunteers who have experience navigating the job market or currently have jobs are preferred. A friendly and patient disposition will prove beneficial.
- Time Commitment: Job Labs will be held at the Loussac Library every Wednesday from 2-5 PM. We prefer organizations to commit at least two volunteers to attend one Job Lab each month.
- Site and Supervision: Peer Counselors will be supervised by Sarah McBryde, an AmeriCorps Vista member who successfully coordinated the Job Lab Program in Mountain View for one year prior to launching the program at the Loussac Library. In addition, two Mayor’s AmeriCorps Interns will be available to provide guidance.
- Volunteer Benefits: This position provides a multitude of personal development opportunities including practice in peer mentorship, increased skills navigating an ever-changing job market, and the satisfaction of helping someone obtain a job that will make all the difference in their life. Moreover, we will provide a letter of recommendation to any volunteer who attends more than two sessions at the Job Lab.
- Adult Education
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Professional Development
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment