ABOUT THE IRC: The mission of the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is to help people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933, the IRC has a presence in over 40 countries and 27 offices in the United States; the IRC leads the way from harm to home. The San Jose IRC office serves approximately 200 refugees annually providing them a fresh start and opportunities to use their greatest resources-their motivation, their skills and their experiences-to become independent and self-sufficient new Americans.
SCOPE OF VOLUNTEER WORK:
For IRC clients to be become fully self-sufficient, they must be taught how finances function in America. Financial Education Instructors will go over pre-made slideshows with clients to educate them on the different aspects of finances in America.
This position reports to the Saving Together IDA Program Specialist.
Minimum 2 hours per week for 3 months, with a courtesy notice of at least 2 weeks prior to leaving the organization. Hours can be completed Monday through Thursday, at different times depending on volunteer availability.
This is a volunteer position.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
- Create and revise financial literacy curriculum at volunteer discretion.
- Teach and monitor financial literacy classes.
- Experience with teaching adults with limited English proficiency or from low income and diverse backgrounds preferred.
- Experience within the field of finance and/or business start-up or operation.
- Proficient computer use such as MS Office and Windows.
Complete an online application and upload your resume and cover letter in a single PDF file to the application. Please tailor your cover letter to the position to which you are applying and include the following:
- Up to 3 positions of interest, ranked in order of preference.
- Time availability for volunteering, i.e. the specific days and times, and your anticipated start and end dates for volunteering.
- Immediate interview availability, if different from volunteer availability.
For more information on the application process and timeline, visit our internships page.
- Financial Planning
- Financial Literacy
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2 hours per week
- Spanish, Arabic, Tigrinya, Vietnamese etc, preferred
- Economic Empowerment Intern
- In-Kind Donations Team Volunteer
- Professional Mentors
- Immigration Intern
- HOME Volunteer
- Cultural Orientation
- Employment Program Intern
- Anti-Trafficking Intern
- Spanish Speaking Workshop...
- Client Coordination Support
- Resettlement Intern
- Vietnamese Speaking Workshop...
- ESL Internship
- Vietnamese Speaking Immigration...
- Financial Education Instructor...