Queens Historical Society is seeking docents on a volunteer basis in assisting with various roles of the organization. The role of a docents at QHS will be to act as a tour guide of the Kingsland Homestead, headquarters of the Queens Historical Society, by educating our visitors on the history of the house and the family who lived in it. In addition, docents must also provide information about any current events and exhibits. The candidate must have availability to volunteer once or twice a month on Saturdays and/or Sundays, occasional Tuesdays from 2:30 to 4:30pm. Duties will consist of greeting guests, taking admission fees, and tours. It’s important to arrive at least ten minutes before the museum is scheduled to open.
- Greet visitors when they enter Kingsland Homestead and encourage them to sign in our visitor log.
- Collect admission fee, and become familiar with cash/credit transactions.
- Provide visitors with information on how they can sign up for membership with QHS, as well as the benefits of becoming a member.
- Offer a guided or self-guided tour of the house but to always accompany visitors to the second floor.
- Encourage visitors to shop at our gift shop, which offers a wide variety of education about the history of Queens.
- Complete a Docent Form at the end of volunteer shift that will be kept in the visitor log book.
- Must follow all rules and procedures.
- Office Reception
- Administrative Support
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 2 days per month