Even BUSY, BUSY, BUSY people can volunteer! Don’t put off helping someone else--and YOURSELF--- until sometime in the future! Call 518-244-4650 today !
-One-to-one and small group tutoring for Basic Literacy and English Language Learners ---- 2-3 hours/week after 18-21 hours of training (on-line training is available) including working as a teacher’s assistant at a Questar class at a local library or the Rensselaer County Jail.
Next Tutor Training Dates: Sept. 11- Oct. 30th, 2017. Register by Sept. 8th.
- Workplace Literacy : teach a class at a work site utilizing vocabulary and materials used on the job to help workers improve their ability to speak English-- 2 hours/wk after training
- English Language Civics : teach a class to help improve English Language Learners’ ability to speak English and to prepare them for life in America--3 hours/week after training 3 hr/wk after training
- Financial Literacy/Math tutoring : teach a class at the YWCA or tutor an individual in math or money management--- 2 hour occasional class or 1 hour/week with an individual after 1 hour volunteer info session
- High School Equivalency Diploma (TASC) preparation: help someone prepare for the TASC---
2 hours/week after 1 hour volunteer information session and 3 hour training
- Telephone Conversation Partners : talk with an intermediate level English Language Learner to help them expand their vocabulary and give them practice speaking/hearing English over the telephone---- 20-40 minutes each week after a 1 hour Orientation.
- Computer Literacy: teach one of our students to use the computer or learn new computer skills. Our on-line course prepares you and then utilize our on-line course with the student.
- Incarcerated Men: Assist the classroom teacher (serve as tutor/aide) at the Rensselaer County Jail, helping inmates improve reading and math skills. (M-Th mornings or M or W evenings) 2-3 hrs/wk after 6 hr training
FOR CHILDREN: - Everybody WINS !-volunteers from local businesses, colleges, and/or organizations throughout the Capital Region, read each week over lunch to elementary students (at a close-by school) who are below reading level--- 30-40 minutes/week after 1 hour Orientation
ONE SHOT VOLUNTEERING: - Special Event Workers : Serve on a committee to plan the event(i.e. Literacy Run, Famous Women’s Tea, Authors’ Night, Scrabble) or work at the event--- times vary12/16
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- Financial Literacy
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Varies, min. 1.5 hr per week