The FARM Institute is located on the historic Katama Farm, a farm that dates back to the early 1900s. With their help, the Edgartown Conservation Commission became the landlord of Katama Farm, conserving its history and future as a working farm. Currently the farm could use the helpful hands of several gardening assistants. The farm has a large teaching garden; The Friendship Garden, as well as an herb garden, community garden, production greenhouse and several perennial beds. If your passion is gardening, and you have a few hours a week to spare, we would enjoy sharing this amazing property with you! We are looking for creative and dedicated individuals who have a flexible schedule, enjoy working outdoors, and have a basic knowledge of garden skills. Our garden manager will work with the volunteers to determine gardening tasks and priorities. Ideal candidates should be equally at home working both independently as well as on a team.
Responsibilities can include:
* Working with staff to assess gardening needs
* Weeding, watering, planting and transplanting in the vegetable beds.
* Mulching and maintaining the herb garden and perennial beds.
* Seeding and transplanting in the greenhouse if neccesary.
* Maintain open communication with staff
* Log volunteer hours weekly
* An eagerness to participate in maintaining The FARM Institute's gardens
* Ability to use hand tools
* Ability to follow instructions, work on a team, and work in a busy setting
* Dress in appropriate clothes and footwear
* Ability to stand for extended periods of time and ability to bend
* Ability to walk on a variety of surfaces including grass or uneven surfaces
Time Commitment Needed
Flexible schedule: could be year round or temporary.
The FARM Institute, 14 Aero Ave., Edgartown, MA 02539
For more information
Contact Eileen Small, Volunteer Resources Coordinator, 781-784-0567 x5501, email@example.com
To explore other volunteer opportunities or sign up as a team, visit our volunteer page at http://volunteer.thetrustees.org/
The Trustees is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal employment opportunity for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, military service, application for military service, veteran status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law. The Trustees makes reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
- Critical Thinking
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Boat House Steward - Norris...
- Gardening Volunteer - Weir River...
- Event Volunteer - Bird Park
- Invasive Species Control...
- Event Volunteer at Eleanor Cabot...
- Barnyard & Livestock Volunteer -...
- Guest Services Ambassador -...
- Horticulture Volunteer - Bradley...
- Gardening Volunteer - Mytoi
- Communications Intern - Bradley...
- Drop-In Tuesday Gardening -...
- Gardening Volunteer - The FARM...
- Nest Box Monitor - Charles River...
- Wednesday Garden Crew - Haskell
- Communications Outreach...
- Friday Community Garden...
- Skilled Trades Volunteer -...
- Painter Volunteer - Weir River...
- Nature Based Educator - Rocky...
- Engagement & Education Volunteer...