Do you identify as an advocate for social justice?
Join our dynamic team of volunteer English and Citizneship teachers and make a lasting impact in the lives of immigrants and their families in Boston!
Centro Presente's Education for Empowerment Program (EFE) provides Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced English; Citizenship; and Spanish Literacy classes to the Latino community of East Boston. Our curriculum has a unique dual focus-- we provide students with both language skills and essential knowledge of their rights as immigrants.
Volunteer teachers must be able to commit 4 hours per week to Citizenship instruction. You will work on a teaching team made up of instructors and assistants. Class sizes are small and personal-- 15 students maximum.
The Citizenship class is designed to prepare students for the citizenship exam and interview, a major component of the naturalization process.
Textbooks, lesson plans, resources, and training are provided to all teachers.
- Citizenship Instructor/Assistant
- Saturday 1pm-5pm
- April 21, 2018
- Teach 40 hours of instruction during a 10-week cycle
- Prepare lessons in advance using, syllabus, lesson plans and textbooks provided
- Prioritize interactive activities and incorporate multiple intelligences into instruction
- Assign homework and assessments of student progress
- Collaborate with Assistant Teacher (if applicable)
- Teaching or tutoring experience
- Experience working with immigrant communities
- Commitment to immigrants' rights and social justice
- Organized and resourceful
- Volunteer must commit to completing at least one 10-week cycle. Preference will be given to qualified volunteers who can commit to multiple cycles.
We look forward to hearing from you!
HOW TO APPLY
To apply please submit your resume to the Adult Education Coordinator Meredith Gamble at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- General Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 4-6 hours/week