teensReach is the awesome young adult volunteer group and youth council for the San Jose Public Library. Participating in teensReach is a good way for you to serve the public and to fulfill volunteering hours for school or another group. At the same time, you will develop work skills and experience, meet new friends and also help make your library a better place for teens and the wider community.
Some of the responsive activities teensReach members have been involved in include: children's craft and games programs, hosting and organizing teen programs at the library, volunteering at our Summer Reading registration table, hosting teen book sales for which all of the funds support additional teen programs, providing book/magazine/movie/game reviews and suggestions, creating interactive and attractive digital and print displays in our teen room, and representing San Jose Public Library at community events.
Membership requires regular attendance at monthly meetings on the 1st Saturday of the month at 1pm (we feed you pizza!), participation in and support of at least 1 monthly library activity/event, and a sense of fun and adventure.
- Must be between 13-18 years old
- Must commit to volunteering for at least 5 months
- Have a strong interest in the library or serving their community
- Enjoy working with people of all ages and cultures
- Be willing to learn new skills
- Literacy / Reading
- Event Design & Planning
- Group Facilitation
- Youth Services
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 13
- 3 hours a month for 5 months
- Age 13-18; Fingerprinting required for volunteers 18 years of age