Member of the Board of Directors
Women In Action, Inc., Worcester, MA
Job Description and Expectations
Purpose: To advise, govern, oversee policy and direction, and assist with the leadership and general promotion of Women In Action, Inc. to support the organization’s mission and needs.
Mission statement: The mission of Women In Action, Inc. is to Unify and Empower Women of all backgrounds and creeds to come together and build within their lives as well as their communities.
The vision of Women In Action, Inc. is to increase the range of opportunities, activities, skills, roles, and rights available to women by encouraging the fullest use and development of women’s abilities and resources. WIA will work to empower all women, and provide a place for women to meet as individuals and in groups, an information and referral service, and it shall initiate other programs to secure and enhance the quality of life for women.
- Organizational leadership and advisement
- Organization of the board of directors, officers, and committees
- Formulation and oversight of policies and procedures
- Financial management, including adoption and oversight of the annual budget
- Oversight of program planning and evaluation
- Personnel evaluation and staff development
- Review of organizational and programmatic reports
- Promotion of the organization
- Fundraising and outreach
*Members of the board share these responsibilities while acting in the interest of Women In Action, Inc.. Each member is expected to make recommendations based on his or her experience and vantage point in the community.
Length of term: Two, three, or four years, which may be renewed, pending approval of the board.
Meetings and time commitment:
- The board of directors meets quarterly. Currently meetings occur on the third Monday of the month at 6pm; however, meetings are scheduled to fit the needs of all board members as best possible and therefore meeting days/times may change. Meetings typically last 90 minutes.
- Emergency board meetings could occur, but are rare.
- Committees of the board meet an average of six to twelve times per year, pending their respective work agenda.
- Board members are asked to attend no less than two special events or meetings per year, as they are determined.
- Attend and participate in meetings on a regular basis, and special events as able.
- Participate on at least one, but no more than two, standing committees or task forces of the board, and serve on ad-hoc committees as necessary.
- WIA Inc. committees include: Program Success Committee, Fundraising & Events Committee, and the Family & Community Engagement Committee
- Be alert to community concerns that can be addressed by Women In Action, Inc.’s mission, objectives, and programs.
- Help communicate and promote Women In Action, Inc.’s mission and programs to the community.
- Become familiar with Women In Action, Inc.’s finances, budget, and financial/resource needs.
- Understand the policies and procedures of Women In Action, Inc.
- Financially support Women In Action, Inc. in a manner commensurate with one’s ability.
- Donor Management
- Business Development & Sales Management
- Grant Writing / Research
- Business Development
- Market Research / Analysis
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Passionate about helping women. Agrees with our Mission and Vision.