Greetings BPH Community,
Please review our 2017-18 Volunteer Guidelines.
The Berkeley Playhouse 10th Anniversary Season Presents
The Sweeping Musical Epic of Hopes and Dreams in America
February 16 - March 18
One of the most acclaimed American musicals of the last twenty years, Ragtime is a sweeping epic of hopes and dreams in a changing America at the turn of the 20th century.
Just beyond the gaze of Lady Liberty, the interconnected stories of three evolving and distinct communities in New York are woven together to create a fabric that blankets a new era in the land of opportunity: a Jewish immigrant seeking a new life in America for him and his daughter is renewed by the possibilities of success; a mother from an upper-class suburban family is awakened to the idea that privilege and comfort may not be the pathway to personal fulfillment; and a gifted African-American musician, prolific in the dissonant and romantic melodies of a distinctly new musical sound called ragtime, learns that the combustible mix of love, passion and injustice can spark the wheels of change.
We invite you to volunteer and see the show with a non-alcoholic beverage, both complimentary. Consider sharing the experience with your family and friends.
Review our 2017-18 Volunteer Guidelines before signing up.
2017-18 FOH Volunteer Guidelines:
- The Dress Code is business casual attire in solid black slacks, pants, skirts with black shirt or blouse or black on the bottom with solid white blouse or shirt or solid black dress. This dress code also applies to youth volunteers ages 8-16. Color can be added in accessories such as scarves or jewelry.
- Volunteers are required to arrive in the theater lobby by the Time (PDT) on the sign-up form for a group meeting with the House Manager for meeting to assign tasks.
IMPORTANT: If you are going to be late or require to cancel on day of the show, either call or text MaryAnna at 408-813-5861. If you are late without contacting us, you possibly may not be permitted to volunteer, and it will count as a no-show. After two no-shows, you may be permanently removed form our volunteer list.
- Volunteers must be able to stand during their volunteer assignments as well as be willing to work any task assigned.
- Volunteers are asked to support our Front of House staff for preshow, intermission and post show.
- Volunteers must be 17 years of age or older.
- As a courtesy we welcome two youth volunteers per show (ages 8-16) to accompany the adult. If the youth slots are full, you'll need to choose another show time.
When signing up with a youth volunteer, you must include your youth's name in the comment field, i.e. youth vol MaryAnna and only select 1 volunteer slot, not 2. Any questions contact MaryAnna.
- Do not bring other volunteers with you without signing them up on the roster including youth under 17 years of age.
- Once the doors open there is no cell phone usage.
FOH Volunteer Tasks May Include and Not Limited To:
- Ushering and handing out playbills.
- Ushering within the theater showing patrons to their seats.
- Offering concession preorder forms before the show to our patrons.
- Directing concession line preshow and intermission.
- Concessions assistance before the show and during intermission.
- Supporting preorder table during intermission.
- Monitoring activity in theater during the show and advising House Manager (i.e. no photos and recordings or children in aisles).
- Assisting the House Manager and other volunteers at the end of show to clear up the debris in the theater.
We welcome you to Volunteer Ushering and our exciting 10th Anniversary Season. Please send any questions to me.
Concessions and FOH Volunteer Manager
Berkeley Playhouse @ the Julia Morgan Theater
2640 College Ave, Berkeley, CA 94501
Click on the link below to sign up!
- Music Arts
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 17
- Orientation or Training
- Each shift is approximately 4 hours.