Are you interested in art? Have you learned a little (or a lot) about local history and want to share that with those that visit us from near and far? Then consider becoming a Museum Docent at the Arkell Museum in Canajoharie!
Museum Docents have the opportunity to interact with visitors of all ages and from around the world and provide opportunities for deeper learning. Museum Docents will complete ongoing training covering four different stations: the two changing galleries, the Night Watch Gallery, and the Walkway Gallery. Museum Docents will also meet with the Curator of Education & Public Engagement to discuss any interesting interactions or problems they encountered, and to receive additional training materials.
Museum Docents will:
- Act as guides in the museum galleries during formal, scheduled group tours
- Assist as gallery guides during special events and programs
- Assist staff with occasional off-site outreach opportunities
- Gain a deeper understanding of art, art history, museum education, Mohawk Valley history, and community
Museum Docent Requirements:
- Age range: 18+
- Minimum hours: Two 4/hour shifts per month
- Completed application form with 2 letters of recommendation from non-family members
- Personal interview
Interested in applying? Send us a note here on VolunteerMatch and our Curator of Education & Public Engagement will be in touch with an application form!
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Two 4/hour shifts per month
- Completed application & interview