Goal: "That no patient dies alone"
Be with someone in their last moments. As a vigil volunteer of AseraCare, you will provide on-call support to patients and families in the last 24-48 hours of life. Vigils bring peace and dignity to patients when they are dying alone or when families request additional support
Vigil volunteers will:
- Create a calming and peaceful environment for patients who are actively dying/imminent (i.e. play music, or talk with a patient and/or family members).
- Provide gentle touch to the hand, back, arms, shoulder or hold hands.
- Be a support system for family and friends OF ANY FAITH OR OF NONE.
As a vigil volunteer, please remember the following:
- You must be comfortable with, and able to talk about, death and dying.
- AseraCare provides hospice in different settings. A few places you could be doing a vigil include: a patient’s home, a skilled nursing facility or assisted living facility.
- Vigils take place in the last hours before death. You will need to be available to work after hours between 8pm and 8am.
* Attendance at all required sessions of the Direct Volunteer Training/Orientation
* Maintenance of appropriate boundaries and confidentiality.
This volunteer opportunity is available to the following types of volunteers
We need volunteers who can be available for on-call:
- Volunteers will need to be available after hours between 8pm & 8am.
This volunteer opportunity addresses the following social interests
Health & Seniors
Here at AseraCare, we have a fun, enjoyable work environment for you to be a part of! If this opportunity sounds like something you would enjoy, please contact Michael Collins, Volunteer Program Coordinator.
We hope you’ll join our dynamic volunteer team!!
Volunteer Program Coordinator
5755 Granger Rd. Ste 700, Independence, Oh 44131