Soccer Coach-Mentor: SBU Global Youth League
15 people are interested
South Bronx United's (SBU) Global Youth League aims to partner with immigrant youth in the Bronx as they transition to life in the United States. By providing a meeting place for youth to acclimate to life in New York through the familiar vehicle of soccer, we aim to add value to their experience through the provision of additional legal and social services support and referrals. We are able to provide this support through partnering with committed volunteers and our network of community based organizations in the Bronx.
Coach Mentors work with one team of girls or boys who participate in the intramural SBU Global Youth League during the Fall and/or Spring Seasons. Coaches run short practices and manage games for youth that compete against the other teams within the SBU league. Coaches not only share the joy of playing the sport, but also reinforce the values that sport helps develop, including teamwork, discipline, and empathy. Most importantly, Coach Mentors play a vital role in mentoring youth in the program adjust to life in New York.
- Saturday morning/afternoon in Fall and Spring. Coaches volunteer a set 1.5-2 hour slot between 12pm-5pm. The time slot is dependent on the age group being coached.
- Fall runs from September - November
- Spring runs from mid-March - June
- Mullaly Park: Jerome Avenue at 165th Street. Park is on the north side of Yankee Stadium
- Coach Mentors must be able to commit to being present for at least a 1.5 hours every Saturday(excluding holiday weekends) during the season.
- Attend Coach Mentor Orientation Training prior to the commencement of the season. Additional optional training sessions will be provided during the season.
- One season commitment minimum, but two seasons is preferred.
- Coaches should understand they will be the point person for contact with families and players and willing to make phone calls home to ensure plays are aware of games and to provide other additional support where necessary.
- No formal coaching experience but passion for the game and enthusiasm for working with children is a necessity.
- Passion for and prior experience working with immigrant youth a plus
We'll work with your schedule.
Mullaly Park1055 Jerome AvenueThe Bronx, NY 10452
- Sports Coaching
- 1.5 to 2 hours on Saturday Mornings or Afternoons