Volunteers Needed… Please Accompany A Senior To Medical Appointment/Grocery Shopping. THANK YOU!
WhenWed Dec 13, 2017 09:00 AM - Fri Nov 30, 2018 04:00 PM
Where239 west 49th stSt Malachy's, The Actors Chapel ( Basement )New YorkNew York, NY 10019
It is difficult and sometimes impossible for seniors to travel by themselves to necessary appointments such as doctors and dentist appointments, and on necessary errands such as food shopping. The Senior Escort program makes these crucial trips possible. Encore’s Senior Escort Program is a volunteer program designed to give much needed assistance and support to aging members of our community. Otherwise, due to physical frailty and disability, vision or hearing impairment, and cognitive problems, our senior neighbors are forced to cancel their trips - which leads to rapid decline in health and quality of life.
Things to know:
- As a volunteer, you will meet the senior at their front door, accompany them to their appointment or errand, and then accompany them back to their home.
- Trips typically take 1-3 hours, depending on the circumstance.
- You will travel via public transportation (each individual is responsible for their own metro card) or via cab (the senior participant is responsible for cab fees)
- The clients we serve live in Manhattan south of 110th
- Helping the older person dress in outerwear such as coat, sweater or hat for the trip
- Helping the older person lock and unlock his/her residence
- Helping the older person with physical strains such as assistance on stairs and carrying/pushing the grocery cart
- Commitment of at least 6 months
- Weekly commitments, preferred
- Successful criminal background check & reference check
- Flexible hours Monday-Friday and/or available at least one day a week
- Attend program orientation & training
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Sensitive and empathic with the senior population
Schedule: The program is not a fixed schedule. Requests come in every week, at different times and days Monday-Friday. Volunteers must have flexibility during the work week, i.e. a part-time job, or flexible work hours.
It is required that you have at least one entire day free from Monday-Friday, we will place the volunteer on an on-call basis depending on the requests that come in that week.
Your role as a volunteer in this program is incredibly valuable and rewarding. Senior program participants are so grateful for your time and help. It is a simple but vital service.
- People Skills
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 6 Months