Job Description and Statement of Responsibilities
Member of the Board of Directors
I. Role of Board of Directors
The UAA Foundation’s Board of Directors supports the work of UAA Foundation and provides mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by UAA Foundation’s chief executive officer (CEO), the Board-CEO relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected.
II. Board Member Responsibilities
The responsibilities of Members of the Board of Directors are as follows:
A. Leadership, governance and oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the CEO as s/he develops and implements UAA Foundation’s strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by UAA Foundation for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics
- Reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving UAA Foundation’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions
- Being informed of, and meeting all legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Assisting the CEO and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the CEO and other Board Members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing UAA Foundation to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring UAA Foundation’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities UAA Foundation serves
UAA Foundation Board Members will consider UAA Foundation a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that UAA Foundation can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, UAA Foundation expects to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity.
III. Board terms/participation
UAA Foundation’s Board Members will serve a three-year term and will be eligible for re-appointment for one or more additional terms. Board meetings will be held quarterly and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings.
Board membership provides an extraordinary opportunity for service for individuals who are passionate about UAA Foundation’s mission and who have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. Board members’ experience and accomplishments will allow them to participate effectively in Board activities, to contribute significantly to UAA Foundation’s mission, and to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members.
Candidates for Board membership will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- A commitment to and understanding of UAA Foundation’s mission and objectives
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including an affinity for cultivating effective relationships and persuading, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of individuals and communities served by UAA Foundation
Service on UAA Foundation’s Board of Directors is without remuneration; however, exceptions may be made on a pre-approved basis for remuneration of costs related to specific, agreed-upon assignments or activities in support of UAA Foundation’s mission or programmatic activities.