Tuk Tuk for Children (TT4C) are a registered charity working in, Cambodia. Part of the role that they perform is enhancing educational opportunities for the local children. The pre school program has recently begun with support of a kind donation from the Rotary Club of Calgary Downtown in Canada.
Whilst this is adequate to build the program it does not and will not fully provide some of the expertise we need at the grass roots level. Hence we are seeking the assistance of volunteers who may feel inclined to support a worthy cause whilst at the same time experiencing aspects of a country in Sth East Asia not normally visible to tourists.
Whilst there are other programs that we are involved in the requirements for the pre school program are more specific. In saying that many volunteers support us across the board in a variety of roles.
The Pre School support job description includes;
- a commitment to work on the program for a minimum of 2 months
- Teaching qualifications or experience in childhood education especially in the pre school, kindergarten or primary years is preferred. This could include areas such as having worked in therapy or day care.
- Our needs in this program extend further to specifics surrounding the creation and use of storybooks. Therefore we would love to have authors, visual and performing artists and people with skills to translate books to the Khmer language. We have roles for "virtual volunteers" who work from their own home to support us online.
- Whilst using books in a traditional sense is one of the major areas there are so many other ways this can be done...creating pictures, plays, songs, charts and so on. In this way we can spread the idea of reading as being a great teaching tool.
- We will also have tasks involving cataloguing, repairing books, organizing borrowing tubs and assisting in the delivery of these books. At the pre schools we will introduce books to both teachers and students though the goal is to encourage and assist the Khmer teachers to use them in their teaching.
- Your skills may permit you to train other volunteers as support for our pre school program.
We support our volunteers in a variety of ways to ensure their comfort and safety. An induction program, introduction to the locality, help with transport and accommodation options are all part of what we do. There is a strong social network within the volunteer community which means that there is a great support base often surrounding meals or excursions.
- Child Development
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Min 2 months, longer time preffered