During these uncertain times, how can we help?
See below to access our COVID-19 Resource Hub, and to explore our growing directory of both COVID-19-specific and virtual volunteering opportunities.
Position Summary: OMSI After Dark Education Volunteers perform educational demonstrations and provide customer service at OMSI After Dark, a monthly evening event for adults ages 21 and up. Because of the changing nature of this event, duties may vary considerably. Flexibility and enthusiasm are a must! Volunteers will be able to enjoy OMSI After Dark from an insider's perspective!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Facilitate new activities and demonstrations, ranging from arts and crafts to physics and engineering, depending on the needs of the event.
· Assist with set-up and clean-up procedures for activities and demonstrations.
· Interact with visitors to help them explore and learn from OMSI demonstrations, exhibits and lab activities.
· Give clear directions and provide information about activities happening throughout the museum.
· Assist OAD Educator with research and development of educational demonstrations as needed.
· Volunteers must be available on the last Wednesday evening of every month from approximately 5:30- 10:30 p.m. for OMSI After Dark for a minimum commitment of nine months.
· Strong communication and customer service skills.
· Skillful in facilitating hands-on interactions and translating scientific information accurately and age-appropriately.
· Able to maintain a calm, pleasant, and cheerful demeanor in a noisy and crowded environment.
· Able to listen and communicate effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and ages.
· Dependable and punctual.
· Self-directed and willing to take initiative.
· Willing to follow OMSI rules and procedures.
· At least 21 years of age.
· Training and a lifelong learning experience.
· Admission for the volunteer to the museum, theater and planetarium shows, and submarine tours.
· An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
· Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
· The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.
To learn more about volunteering with OMSI, please visit: http://www.omsi.edu/volunteer . Hit the "Apply Now" button on that page to fill out our online application!
1945 SE Water Avenue, Portland, OR 97214, US
OMSI’s mission is to inspire curiosity through engaging science learning experiences, foster experimentation and the exchange of ideas, and stimulate informed action. Volunteers support the operation of five exhibit halls and eight science labs and hundreds of interactive exhibits and hands-on demonstrations.
OMSI is an independent non-profit 501(c)(3) organization and relies on admissions, memberships, and donations to continue our educational mission, programs, and exhibits.
We'll work with your schedule.
1945 SE Water AvenuePortland, OR 97214
February 17, 2020