Duties: As a Health Center Advocate with Planned Parenthood, you will help connect patients and community members to the advocacy and political work of the organization. Advocates are stationed in the waiting room of our health center, greeting patients to ask them to join the Planned Parenthood Action Network and offering other helpful information on things that fall under the public affairs umbrella (voting information, legislation updates, engagement opportunities, etc.). Volunteers might also distribute Planned Parenthood goodies (like condom roses or lip balm) and work on special projects within the Health Center Advocacy Program. A friendly and welcoming demeanor is a must, as are the ability to be friendly and outgoing toward strangers, and to respect patient confidentiality. Volunteers must successfully complete a criminal background check, and be up-to-date on immunization and TB screening. Three hours/week is the minimum requirement during health center hours of operation. Most hours are M-F 9-6, with some limited evening/weekend hours available.
General Description: Health Center Advocates help educate and engage Planned Parenthood patients and visitors from the waiting rooms of our clinics. Volunteers collect activist network sign-ups and voter pledges, distribute fun Planned Parenthood merchandise, answer limited questions related to public affairs, and participate in other activities meant to attract and engage visitors, from sharing story-gathering cards to inviting patients to color while they wait! Between visitor interactions, volunteers may assist and lead a variety of public affairs activities.
* Ask exiting patients and visitors to join Planned Parenthood’s Action Network
* Explain goal of the Action Network and the importance of being connected to Planned Parenthood
* Be a friendly, welcoming, professional face of the clinic Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
* Reliable transportation to health center
* Friendly and outgoing towards strangers
* Able to answer questions about Planned Parenthood in a helpful, educated manner and redirect any questions volunteer doesn’t know answer to either to health center front desk, or to website
* Respectful of patient confidentiality
* Must successfully complete a criminal background investigation.
* Must submit updated record of immunizations and TB status prior to start date.
* Minimum of 3 Hours/Week (opportunity to volunteer more available and encouraged)
* Must be available sometime when health center is open. Most shifts are Monday-Friday 9-6, with limited evening/weekend options.
Supervisor: Minnesota Public Affairs Manager
- People Skills
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 3 hours per week