The mission of the Local Organizing Committee (LOC) is to assist with local fundraising and promotion efforts for the Be The Match Walk+Run event. The Charlotte Be The Match Walk+Run takes place in the fall, usually September.
This is a leadership opportunity for individuals looking to share or develop their experience in fundraising and community engagement.
The primary role of the LOC is to lead the fundraising efforts of the Be The Match Walk+Run. The LOC acts as an ambassador of Be The Match to the local community and acts as a local grassroots promotions team. Individual roles vary depending upon current membership/vacancies and volunteers' strengths and skill sets. The ideal LOC structure includes a Chair and members focused on sponsorships, entertainment, registration, team recruitment, in-kind donations, event promotions, and volunteer recruitment.
Volunteer in the Charlotte area with the local LOC volunteers and staff Development Manager.
The LOC is most active in the 5-6 months leading up to an event. LOC volunteers can expect to spend around 15-20 hours a month on committee work, but this can vary by role and based on your own availability. LOC volunteers are expected to attend meetings/conference calls and local promotional events and to work with Be The Match staff in regards to their specific functional area during the planning period and event weekend.
* Self-motivated, strong interest in fundraising
* Willing to talk to people to engage them in the event
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work with office tools such as Microsoft Word and Excel
Be The Match Walk+Run Overview
Be The Match Walk+Run is a fundraising event that helps patients with blood cancers like leukemia find a marrow donor and receive a life-saving transplant. Every four minutes someone is diagnosed with a blood cancer. It can happen to anyone at any time. But so can a cure - a marrow transplant. The cure for blood cancer is in the hands of ordinary people. Most of us won’t have a marrow donor in our family and Be The Match matches volunteer marrow donors with patients who need them. The Be The Match Walk+Run (5K, 1K, and Tot Trot) raises funds to: add more volunteer potential marrow donors to the Be The Match Registry, giving more patients hope for a cure; help patients with uninsured treatment costs; and, support continued marrow transplant research.
- Strategic Planning
- Community Outreach
- Event Planning / Management
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 6 month commitment
- Be The Match Walk+Run Chicago
- Be The Match Gala Committee
- New York Be The Match Walk+Run...
- Special Event Sponsorship Intern
- Charlotte Be The Match Walk+Run...
- Case Management Service Intern
- Biorepository Service Intern
- Be The Match Walk+Run Service...
- Special Event Auction Intern
- Be The Match Walk+Run Program...
- Education and Outreach Service...
- Patient Services Programs Intern
- Long Beach Be The Match Walk+Run...
- Be The Match Walk+Run Minneapolis