Interested in Education, Youth Development, and Health? Mentor with MIKE!
WhenThu Aug 30, 2018 10:45 AM - Thu Dec 20, 2018 01:45 PM
WhereDe La Salle North Catholic High School7528 N Fenwick AvePortland, OR 97217
Support local youth while gaining experience and honing skills in health education and youth development by mentoring with MIKE Program! MIKE (Multicultural Integrated Kidney Education) Program is accepting applications for health mentors now to prepare for service in Fall Semester 2018.
MIKE empowers youth to be health leaders through education, mentorship, and community outreach.
Health and education are linked. The healthier you are the more likely you are to attain an education. The more education you have, the more likely you are to be healthy. In fact, the level of education is the best predictor of health outcomes. Therefore, MIKE works toward health equity and educational parity. MIKE’s vision is all people meeting their potential of vibrant good health, contributing as citizens of a vibrant, strong society.
As a mentor, you will act as a guide and positive role model for a group of 3-5 youth. You will join a teacher and MIKE staff to work with your youth in a health classroom along with a team of other mentors and their youth. Mentors facilitate small group discussions, assist with hands-on activities, participate in a field trip, and facilitate a final Health Leadership Project as each youth team creates a project to promote health within their own community. Mentors will take turns providing healthy snacks to the class (paid for by MIKE Program).
Mentors meet once per week, only during weeks when school is in session, in a high school classroom for at least one academic semester or year-long project. Training for projects at De La Salle North Catholic High School for service in fall will be scheduled for August, 2018, date, TBD. Mentors assigned to De La Salle North Catholic High School tentative will launch with their youth on Thursday, August 30, 2018. We have volunteer positions available within the following projects.
- De La Salle North Catholic High School in North Portland just off the Yellow Max Line. Typically times are Thursday:
- 10:45 AM-12:10 PM
- 12:20-1:40 PM
Benefits to Mentoring:
- Professional Development
- Experience working with adolescents (9-12-graders) from diverse backgrounds
- Free training and support in areas of adolescent health, youth development, and education
- Making a difference by guiding youth to learn about and embrace healthy behaviors
- Possible eligibility for academic credit, internship credit, or volunteer hour completion credits
- Professional recommendations for committed and dependable mentors
- At least 20 years old
- Live in the Portland Metro Area
- Reliable transportation (includes public transportation)
- Interest in public health, education, youth development, social service, diverse communities
- Role model for health
- Good communication and listening skills
- Encouraging and supportive
- Patient and flexible
- Punctual and responsible
- Embraces individual differences
- Responsive to e-mail communication
- Open to participate in training and give feedback on your experience
- Complete mentor application, resume, and provide at least 3 references
- Interview with MIKE Program staff
- Fingerprint background check and reference check
- Commitment throughout entire project time every week school is in session. It is imperative that once placed as a MIKE Program mentor, you attend all mentoring sessions and complete your term of service so that as a MIKE mentor you do not join the ranks of adults who have disappointed a vulnerable teen.
- Attend a free full day MIKE Program Mentor Training at Providence St. Vincent Hospital (9155 SW Barnes Rd., Portland, Oregon 97225).
To learn more or apply online, please visit http://mikeprogram.org/get-involved/become-a-mentor/ .
9155 SW Barnes Rd., Ste. 219
Portland, OR 97225
- People Skills
- Mental Health
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 20
- Orientation or Training
- 2-3 hours per week