Join The Viscardi Center Mentoring Initiative
36 people are interested
The Viscardi Center Mentoring Initiative (VCMI) is a new mentorship program for at-risk youth with disabilities. The goal of the initiative is to improve the outcomes for at-risk youth (between the ages of 11 and 17) with disabilities through high-quality one-on-one mentoring.
The Viscardi Center is seeking adults aged 18+ years to be mentors for at-risk youth living with any kind of disability.
Benefits of Being a Mentor:
* Gain a sense of fulfilment and personal growth
* Develop leadership and management qualities
* Improve communication and interpersonal relationship skills
* Build a larger professional network
* Be recognized for your talents and experience
* Strengthen your own self-worth and confidence
* Learn new things about yourself and others
* Enhance your CV with community involvement
* Better understand how people perceive you
* Grow your circle of friends
* Contribute to the overall well-being of your society
For more information, contact: Michelle Licata at firstname.lastname@example.org or 516.465.1415.
"Mentoring is a structured and trusting relationship that brings young people together with caring individuals who offer guidance, support and encouragement aimed at developing the competence and character of the mentee." - Elements of Effective Practice MENTOR/The National Mentoring Partnership
About THE VISCARDI CENTER INC
201 I U WILLETS RD, ALBERTSON, NY 11507, US
Providing a lifespan of programs and services that educate, employ and empower children and adults with disabilities.
The Viscardi Center, a network of non-profit organizations, provides a lifespan of services that educate, employ and empower people with disabilities. Its programs and services include Kindergarten through High School education, school-to-work transition services, vocational training, career counseling and placement and workforce diversification assistance to children, adolescents, and adults with disabilities and businesses.
It was founded in 1952 by Dr. Henry Viscardi, Jr. who himself wore prosthetic legs, served as disability advisor to eight U.S. Presidents, from Franklin D. Roosevelt to Jimmy Carter, and became one of the world’s leading advocates for people with disabilities.
The Viscardi Center continues to differentiate itself within the disability services community as a global leader. It is a hub for leading edge approaches to education and employment and pro-active efforts that aim to shape and influence policy changes that will benefit the people it serves and carries out Dr. Viscardi’s original mission - to empower individuals to live fully integrated, active and independent lives.
We'll work with your schedule.
Long Island and New York CityAlbertson, NY 11507
- Child Development
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Youth Services
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 4 – 6 hours per month for one year
- Genuine desire to work with and be accessible to mentee