Director of Development creates and oversees the implementation of a strategic approach to fundraising which may include major gifts, corporate donations, grant solicitation, and in-kind resources. Reporting to and in partnership with the Executive Director (ED), the Development Director will spearhead development efforts as the Arizona Sustainability Alliance continues to grow.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Directors of Development perform some or all of the following duties:
Plan fund development activities
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors and Executive Director to create a fund development plan which increases revenues to support the strategic direction of the organization
- Present the fundraising plan to the Board of Directors for approval
- Implement the fund development plans in accordance with ethical fundraising principles
- Monitor and evaluate all fundraising activities to ensure that the fundraising goals are being achieved
- Monitor trends in the community or region and adapt fundraising strategies as necessary
Organize fund development activities
- Develop and manage timelines for various fundraising activities to ensure strategic plans and critical fund raising processes are carried out in a timely manner
- Develop policies and procedures for the development department which reflect ethical fundraising practices
- Prepare and submit grant applications as outlined in the fund development plan to generate funds for the organization
- Oversee the planning and execution of special fundraising events as specified in the fund development plan to generate funds for the organization
- Identify and develop corporate, community and individual prospects for the organization’s fundraising priorities
- Oversee the administration of a donor mailing list and database which respects the privacy and confidentiality of donor information
- Coordinate in-kind donations and make decisions regarding the issuing of receipts
Staff fund development activities
- In consultation with the Executive Director, recruit, interview, and select well-qualified fund development staff
- Engage volunteers for special fund development projects using established volunteer management practices
Manage fund development budget
- Manage and expand existing grant database
- Identify eligible grants and work with priority leaders to map to specific projects
- Develop and gain approval for an annual income and expenditure budget for the fund development program
- Prepare regular reports on progress, budgets, receipts and expenditure related to fundraising and the management of the fund development activities
- Monitor expenses and analyze budget reports on fund development and recommend changes as necessary
Promote the organization
- Foster an understanding of philanthropy within the organization
- Develop a comprehensive communication plan to promote the organization to its donors and maximize public awareness of the fundraising activities of the organization
- Coordinate the design, printing and distribution of marketing and communication materials for development efforts
- Build relationships with community stakeholders to advance the mission and fundraising goals of the organization
- BA (required), MA (a plus)
- 5-plus years experience in development
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills
Proficiency in the use of computer for:
- Fund raising software
- Word processing
The Director of Development should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
- Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve the finances of the organization and to create new opportunities
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behaviour and business practices and ensure own behaviour and the behaviour of others are consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Focus on Donor Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of donors to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Foster Teamwork: Works cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problem, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities.
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Donor Management
- Strategic Planning
- Business Development & Sales Management
- Grant Writing / Research
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 10-20 hours/week
- Some familiarity with environment and sustainability