Hospice volunteers provide comfort and companionship to people living with a serious illness and help their family caregivers in a variety of ways. We rely on our volunteers to help with office work, fundraising, outreach and patient care. Our volunteers gain great personal satisfaction knowing that they have made a significant impact on another person’s life.
Services that our volunteers provide:
- Visiting with patients
- Spending time doing activities with patients
- Running errands for the patient or their family
- Encouraging the patient to share their experiences with them
- Providing a break for the patient’s caregiver so they can take care of themselves
- Vigil companion
- Kid’s Path volunteer
- Bird feeders
- Bereavement volunteer
- Music volunteer
- Special Events volunteer
- Flowers & More
Administrative/Office work, including:
- Answering phone calls
- Data entry
- Mailings and photocopying
- Giving tours of our facilities
We never ask our volunteers to do anything that they are not comfortable doing.
HospiceCare trains our volunteers! Training covers the following areas:
- The HospiceCare philosophy
- A comprehensive overview of HospiceCare services
- Physical, emotional, social and spiritual issues that people can encounter at end-of-life
- Individual needs, including emotional support, emergency procedures, precautions and end-of-life procedures
- An overview of chronic and life-limiting illnesses
- Effective communication skills
- Boundaries for the volunteer and the patient and family
- Information about grief and loss
How do I sign up to be a HospiceCare volunteer?
If you’d like more information, or if you are interested in becoming a HospiceCare volunteer,go to www.hospicecarewv.org. Fill out the form and one of our Volunteer department staff will get in touch with you.
Of course, you can always call us at 304-768-8523 as well.
- Data Entry
- Hospice Care
- Bereavement Support
- Administrative Support
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1-2 days a week.
- TB test, auto insurance