CENTRAL VIRGINIA HORSE RESCUE
Member of the Board of Directors
Central Virginia Horse Rescue, Inc (CVHR) is a GFAS Verified 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to the compassionate care of equines. Our mission is to save, protect, and rehabilitate equines in need. We rescue unwanted, abused, neglected, or abandoned equines; provide them with care and rehabilitation; and finally find them a compatible, loving home. We believe that education is the long-term solution to improving the lives of equines.
For more information, please see CENTRAL VIRGINIA HORSE RESCUE’s website at www.centralvahorserescue.org.
The Board will support the work of Central Virginia Horse Rescue and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by Central Virginia Horse Rescue’s chief executive officer (CEO), the Board-CEO relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance and oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the CEO as s/he develops and implements Central Virginia Horse Rescue’s strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by Central Virginia Horse Rescue for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving Central Virginia Horse Rescue’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the CEO
- Assisting the CEO and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the CEO and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing Central Virginia Horse Rescue to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring Central Virginia Horse Rescue’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities Central Virginia Horse Rescue serves
CENTRAL VIRGINIA HORSE RESCUE Board Members will consider CENTRAL VIRGINIA HORSE RESCUE a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that CENTRAL VIRGINIA HORSE RESCUE can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, CENTRAL VIRGINIA HORSE RESCUE expects to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity.
CENTRAL VIRGINIA HORSE RESCUE’s Board Members will serve a two-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meetings will be held quarterly and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about CENTRAL VIRGINIA HORSE RESCUE’s mission and who has a track record of board leadership. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- A commitment to and understanding of CENTRAL VIRGINIA HORSE RESCUE’s beneficiaries, preferably based on experience
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of CENTRAL VIRGINIA HORSE RESCUE’s beneficiaries
Service on CENTRAL VIRGINIA HORSE RESCUE’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.
- Animal Care / Handling
- Strategic Planning
- Capacity Planning
- Business Planning
- Market Research
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training