MEDICINE AND HEALTHCARE VOLUNTEERING AND INTERNSHIP ABROAD
Location of Project: Bangalore city and the rural district of the state of Tamilnadu
Project Length : Minimum 2 weeks - Maximum 12 weeks
Arrival Airport: Bangalore International Airport
Placement : Hospitals, local health and medical clinics, public health centres, and outreach work
Main Departments : Medicine, Midwifery, Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, Paediatrics, Ophthalmology, Orthopaedics, Gynaecology and Obstetrics, Neurology, Dermatology, Urology, Dentistry, ENT, Oncology, Radiology, Surgery and Pharmacy
Age of Beneficiaries : Few years and above
Role : Observing local professionals and performing routine tasks in various departments at hospitals, clinics, and community outreach programs and learning from the knowledge and expertise of skilled local staff
Start dates : Flexible
Number of Participants : Up to 15 international volunteers
Age : 17 years old and older
Age Exceptions : This project accepts volunteers who are 17 years old and younger with a letter of consent from a parent or guardian.
Visa: Apply 2-3 months advance, as Visa processing takes longer than expected time.
As an intern in India you can gain experience in a variety of areas, including the ICU, in-patient ward, theater, dialysis unit, and the diabetic ward. You can also help in the maternity department. While as an intern your role is mainly observational, if you show enthusiasm and become a valued member of the team, you may find you are given more to do.
The hospitals can get very busy and your itinerary may change daily, so the breadth of knowledge and experience that you can receive in India is extensive. You will be working with hospital staff who enjoy the opportunity to impart their specialized knowledge to enthusiastic interns. The doctors and nurses will be happy for you to learn from them and to answer your questions.
Interning on a project in a developing country is invaluable preparation for a career in general medicine, dentistry, nursing, midwifery, public health, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, or nutrition. Our medical internships are built to varying levels of experience, from those with interest before university to medical students. You can choose from a variety of programs which run from one to four weeks or more at any time of the year.
A Medicine & Healthcare internship is ideal for those looking to boost their resumes by broadening their clinical, procedural, and cultural skills in a medical environment.
CHOOSE THE AREA YOU WISH TO INTERN:
Medical Internships Abroad
Interning abroad on a Medicine internship is an ideal way to gain work experience while often helping some of the neediest people and poorest resourced medical institutions.
Nursing Internships Abroad
If you want to take up an internship abroad as a nurse, we have a number of different opportunities available. You will be able to shadow and observe qualified medical professionals.
Midwifery Internships Abroad
Midwifery interns observe local midwives and doctors and help provide pre-natal and post-natal care in hospitals and clinics.
International Dentistry Internships
Interning abroad on one of our Dental placements is a fantastic way to gain practical experience in dentistry by working in hospitals, clinics, and community outreach programs.
Public Health Internships Abroad
Interns who wish to specialize in the community outreach aspect of our Medicine & Healthcare programs can join a full time Public Health project.
Physical Therapy Internships Abroad
Choose to intern abroad with us on a Physical Therapy internship and you will gain a great deal of work experience, as you provide support to our colleagues in the developing world.
Occupational Therapy Internships Abroad
Occupational Therapy interns work alongside local occupational therapists or independently provide care for patients in rehabilitation centers and facilities for the disabled.
Speech Therapy Internships Abroad
Projects Abroad offers internships in Speech Therapy to interns who have completed at least one year of studies in speech therapy. You will help local speech therapists treat patients in rehabilitation centers and facilities for the disabled.
Nutrition Internships Abroad
Projects Abroad has developed a nutrition internship program that works with families identified as being especially at risk of malnutrition. Interns can get involved with educational campaigns, distributing nutritious food, and more.
Pharmacy Internships Abroad
Work alongside professional pharmacists by observing and assisting in medical facilities and pharmacies. Interns will also go on outreach projects to provide basic medical services and medicine in outlying communities.
At your placement, you will experience a setting where medical professionals work with limited resources and equipment. Here, you will also be able to observe conditions, illnesses, and different methods of treatment that you would not otherwise see in your own country. Many interns also have the opportunity to practice their basic medical skills by providing important healthcare services in outreach programs in rural communities.
We will work with you to find an internship abroad that suits your level of experience. When you arrive at your destination, we will meet you at the airport and give you a comprehensive introduction to your local area, including introducing you to the community where you will be working and the host family you will be living with. Once your placement begins, your designated supervisor and our Medical Coordinator will meet with you regularly. Our staffs are available for support 24/7.
Although there are no requirements in most cases, there will be some Medicine & Healthcare programs where a certain level of experience and/or language skills is required in order to join. You can learn more on our Requirements page.
Students enrolled in medical school or other health sciences degree programs can choose to do an elective abroad with Kenosis projects abroad.
We also offer Psychology Projects for students with an interest in the field.
- If you have no medical experience your role will be mainly observational
- Doctors will show you all they can and introduce you to many different cases
- If you come with a medical background, you will be given more responsibility and the potential to take on a more active role with patients
- You will be working with doctors and medical staff who enjoy the opportunity to impart their specialized knowledge to enthusiastic interns and will be happy to answer your questions.
- The hospitals can get very busy and your itinerary may change daily
- There will be much for you to see and experience, from regular ward rounds, outpatients clinics, and surgery to shadowing paramedics
- You will have the opportunity to learn about various mental illnesses and observe how patients receive treatment with the available facilities in India
- Interns may also interact with and care for various patients during monthly medical camps and visits to rural villages
- Interns without previous medical experience shadow the local medical staff and have a mainly observational role
- Interns with more experience will find that your exact role will be determined by your level of medical experience as well as the enthusiasm and effort which you show to the local staff
- You will provide local communities with free basic medical services and prescribed medication under the supervision of a pharmacist.
- You will also help raise awareness on various healthcare issues, by presenting talks and workshops at schools and community centers
- Intermediate level of English
- For volunteers, you do not need previous experience, experoience required varies by project and destination
- Interns looking for college credit must be in a pre-med, nursing, medical or a related healthcare graduate degree program
- Your are required to submit your latest field of study certificate, motivation letter and referrals from your respective department, if you are interning for college credit programs
- Full travel and medical insurance
- Photocopy of your passport, Visa, confirmed flight tickets and police clearance certificate
- Immunizations (consult your doctor)
- Latest updated CV / Resume in English
- Must be 18 years old or older, those who are 17 years old and younger must attain a letter of consent from a parent or guardian
BENEFITS OF VOLUNTEERING:
- You will be given the opportunity to get hands on experience. This included wound dressing, vaccinations, pre-natal check-ups and taking someone’s blood pressuretto name few
- Through showing initiative and building a good rapport with your colleagues, you can get more involved with the doctors and patients with whom you are working
- Interns may also have the opportunity to get involved with the medical team’s community outreach project in various remote villages, but this depends on your placement and whether or not one is organized
- You will also live with a local host family, giving you the chance to immerse yourself completely in Indian culture
- You will have plenty of free time during your time abroad, where you can explore your surroundings and socialize with other volunteers
More about your volunteering fee, what’s 'included’ and 'not included’ in your fee, please contact us or click here.
If you are inspired in any one of our projects, please apply now.
Any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mental Health
- Patient Care
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 17
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum 2 weeks - Maximum 12 weeks
- Must Apply 2-3 months advance, as Visa processing takes longer than expected time
- Tefl And Teaching Projects Abroad
- Child Care Projects in India
- Group Volunteering Projects Abroad
- Volunteering Projects Abroad
- Social Work Internships for...
- Housing and construction project...
- Summer Break Volunteering in India
- Agriculture and Farming Projects...
- Building and Community...
- Medical Elective for Students...
- Medicine and Healthcare...
- Volunteer in Microfinance and...
- Teaching English and Computer...
- Women’s Empowerment Projects