VOLUNTEER AND INTERNSHIP IN MEDICAL ELECTIVE FOR STUDENTS ABROAD
Location of Project: Bangalore city and the rural district of the state of Tamilnadu
Project Length: Minimum 2 weeks - Maximum 12 weeks
Arrival Airport: Bangalore International Airport
Placement : Hospitals, local health and medical clinics, public health centres, and outreach work.
Main Departments : Medicine, Midwifery, Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy, Paediatrics, Ophthalmology, Orthopaedics, Gynaecology and Obstetrics, Neurology, Dermatology, Urology, Dentistry, ENT, Oncology, Radiology, Surgery and Pharmacy.
Beneficiaries : Few months and above years
Role : Satisfy the elective requirements of your medical training and participating in an internship in a hospital or healthcare center abroad
Start dates : Flexible
Number of Participants: Up to 15 international volunteers
Age: 17 years old and older
Age Exceptions: This project accepts volunteers who are 17 years old and younger with a letter of consent from a parent or guardian
Visa : Apply before 2-3 months advance, as Visa processing takes longer than expected time.
Kenosis offers a wide variety of international medical elective placements overseas in India, a developing country. These are individualized to specifically meet the academic needs of students in medical school and other degree programs where in which individuals are training to be doctors, nurses, dentists, physical therapists, occupational therapists, and midwives.
We have been collaborating with medical professionals abroad for several years and have an eastablished program. We will provide you with a placement that not only meets your elective requirements, but also gives you a complete and rewarding experience of the country in which you are based. You will be assigned to a qualified supervisor who is there to provide support and guidance throughout your internship. We arrange your accommodation, meals, and insurance, and have strong in-country support to make sure your time abroad runs as smoothly as possible.
Kenosis can offer elective placement that not only meets your preferences for specific specialties, but also the chance to make a difference in a developing country. India will be a new and exciting backdrop to your studies.
If you are not a medical student or an elective placement is not a required part of your studies, please visit our Medicine & Healthcare Internships page.
VOLUNTEER MEDICAL ELECTIVES ABROAD:
In a developing country like India, students taking electives will encounter diseases and conditions that are rarely seen in North America, such as malaria, leprosy, and polio. Furthermore, due to a lack of both general health education and money to pay for treatment, the cases tend to be far more advanced than you would normally see in hospitals elsewhere.
Many of our elective students have the opportunity to take part in extra activities such as attending workshops, outreach programs, and seminars with other medical students. This depends on the country and placement you choose.
PLANNING YOUR ELECTIVE ABROAD:
Our Elective placements are available in India, a developing county. This is the basic checklist for an Elective placement:
- Variety of medical specialties
- Clear daily timetables
- Modularized programing
- Well-qualified supervisor
- Interpreters available when needed
- Links with local primary care
- The opportunity to see traditional medicine (if applicable)
- Great local food and accommodation
- Enjoyable social environment
If you are not an elective student or would rather take part in our regular medical internships, please go to our Medicine & Healthcare Internships page.
Please choose the area in which you wish to do your Elective: Medical Electives, Nursing Electives Abroad, Midwifery Electives, Dentistry Electives, Physical Therapy , Occupational Therapy, and Pharmacy Electives
- As an intern, you work alongside experienced medical staff while they carry out their daily routine
- The project tasks are mainly observational and shadow-based, unless you have the certification to do more
- Your main role will be to work with and learn from local medical professionals in some or all areas of the medical center, though you will usually work in the general medicine unit or OPD in the hospital
- To make the most out of your placement, it is very important to build trust with the local medical staff and respect India's methods of medical practice and treatment, as it may be very different from what you are used to in your home country
- Routine check-ups, monitoring patients, consulting with the doctors and offering advice, observing, recording and analyzing patient conditions, and assisting in the X-ray room will be expected of interns
- Helping in the children’s or adult’s ward (depending on the need at the time)
- Pre-med/nursing or those in first or second-year of medical/nursing school will primarily shadow the team
- Students will have the opportunity to observe as well as assist the doctors and medical staff at their placements
- You will be given tasks according to your level of knowledge, skills and confidence
- If you have experience, please bring a copy of your certifications
- Take a notepad and pen with you every day so you can take notes on specific cases and treatment methods. You can then discuss these with your supervisor. They will ensure you have access to many case studies for your coursework.
- If you are looking for credit, you must be a pre-med, nursing, medical or a related healthcare graduate degree program
- Intermediate level of English
- Required to submit latest field of study certificate, motivation letter and referrals from your respective department, if you are interning for college credit programs
- Full travel and medical insurance
- Photocopy of your passport, Visa, confirmed flight tickets and police clearance certificate
- Immunizations (consult your doctor)
- Updated CV / Resume in English
- Must be 18 years old or older; those who are 17 years old and younger must attain a letter of consent from a parent or guardian
BENEFITS OF MEDICAL ELECTIVES:
- Taking medical Elective abroad with one of our local partners will be a hugely worthwhile experience
- You will gain valuable experience and work alongside qualified professionals in your chosen field
- You will be able to work in a medical facility that best suits you
- Depending on your project and placement you choose, you will often have the opportunity to take part in extra activities such as workshops and outreach programs, and attend seminars with other medical students
- You will be able to contribute to sustainable development in the medical field and bring a more cross-cultural understanding to the world
- You can travel as an intern abroad at any time of the year, for as long as you want
- You can use your experience for university credit if you are in school (We recommend speaking to a school advisor about this)
- Your focus is on gaining experience and skills, so most of our Intern Abroad programs do not require previous experience
- You will take on an active role in your placement and observe the challenges faced when interning abroad
- You have the opportunity to boost your resume, gain new skills and practical experience, and engage in meaningful cultural exchange
- You will experience the hospitality of your host family
- You will also be able to meet with other Kenosis volunteers during your time off and explore the local area
- Upon completion, students will receive a certificate or a letter of work experience to add on to your CV to reflect your accomplishments
More about your volunteering fee, what’s 'included’ and 'not included’ in your fee, please click here.
If you are inspired in any one of our projects, please apply now.
Any questions, please contact us at email@example.com
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Patient Care
- Children Medical Services
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 10
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum 2 weeks - Maximum 12 weeks
- Apply before 2-3 months advance, as Visa processing takes longer than expected time.
- Tefl And Teaching Projects Abroad
- Child Care Projects in India
- Group Volunteering Projects Abroad
- Volunteering Projects Abroad
- Social Work Internships for...
- Housing and construction project...
- Summer Break Volunteering in India
- Agriculture and Farming Projects...
- Building and Community...
- Medical Elective for Students...
- Medicine and Healthcare...
- Volunteer in Microfinance and...
- Teaching English and Computer...
- Women’s Empowerment Projects