SUMMER BREAK VOLUNTEERING ABROAD
Location of Project: Bangalore city and rural district of the state of Tamilnadu
Project Length : Minimum 2 to 8 weeks from April to May, and until Auguest during summer break
Arrival Airport: Bangalore International Airport
Types of projects: Childcare,Teaching English, Computer Skills and Community Work, Girl’s Club, Children’s Parliament, Community Health Clinic, Humanitarian and Community Aid, Teaching English, and Computer Skills and Recreational Activities with local school children
Age of women : 18 years to 65 years
Role : Assist and lead summer camp programs with the local staff as you teach English and computer skills, mentor and coach, organize health and hygiene awareness activities, outdoor sports and games competitions, and arts and crafts
Start dates : Flexible
Number of Participants : Up to 15 international volunteers
Age : 17 years old and older
Age Exceptions : This project accepts volunteers who are 17 years old and younger with a letter of consent from a parent or guardian
Visa : Apply 2-3 months advance, as Visa processing takes longer than expected time.
It is estimated that more than 400,000 children live and work on the streets in India. These children live on the streets, caring for themselves, and often working in an attempt to provide food or shelter for themselves. Mainly this is due to family conflict or poor situations at home. In Delhi, the capital city, there are close to 175 000 street children of whom, 7-10% are runaways. This project aims to put smiles on the faces of these countless disadvantaged street children by providing them with opportunities to play games, engage in educational and recreational activities and spend time with volunteers like you. Through hands on activities, volunteers help to create an environment that is conducive for the holistic development of these children and encourages them to become a part of mainstream society.
You have the opportunity to spend time volunteering with some of the countless disadvantaged and underprivileged children in rural communities, in the southern part of India, in the district of Krishnagiri. You will arrive in Bangalore International Airport and take a taxi through thick and greenery forest surrounded by hills and mountains. You can make an impact in the lives of these underprivileged children through teaching and fun recreational activities during the summer between April to May.
The Sesuraja Puram village is our primary project location, located in Denkanikottai Tehsil of Krishnagiri District in Tamil Nadu, India. It is situated 43km away from sub-district headquarter Denkanikottai and 110km away from district headquarter Krishnagiri. The total geographical area of the village is 2734.5 hectares. Sesuraja Puram has a total population of 9,687 people. There are about 2,258 houses in Natrapalayam village. Denkanikottai and the Hosur industrial area is the nearest town to Natrapalayam. There is no railway station near to Natrampalayam in less than 10 km. However, Bangalore City Junction Rail Way Station is a major railway station and 120 kms and 145 ms from Bangalore International Airport near to Sesuraja Puram.
Hogenakkal Falls is a waterfall in South India on the Kaveri River in the Dharmapuri district of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is located 180 km from Bangalore and 12 km from project location. It’s a great time to spend your weekend and enjoy boating, fishing, trekking, cycling and wild elephant visit. Sometimes referred to as the "Niagara Falls of India," it is known for medicinal baths and boat rides, projecting itself as a major tourist attraction. Carbonatite rocks in this site are considered to be the oldest of its kind in South Asia and one of the oldest in the world. The Government of Tamil Nadu made a proposal to convert the falls into providing drinking water for the state.
On this project, volunteers will have the chance to work on different projects with children and adolescent girls. The main focus will be to provide love and care for the children and adolescent school girls, while engaging them in informal education, including basic literacy, as well as play games and engaging in creative activities with them. As a volunteer, you will have opportunity to lead and assist summer camp programs with the local staffs as you teach English and computer skills, mentor and coach, organize health and hygiene awareness activities, outdoor sports and games competitions, arts and crafts.
VOLUNTEER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
- Assisting with informal education, including organizing and managing outdoor recreational games while helping to create a safe and positive environment for the children
- Helping teachers during English and computer classes as well as other subjects like basic Maths and Geography
- You may be asked to help design creative activities for these classes
- Assisting the staff with various tasks around the centre
- Providing support and positive reinforcement to the children, talking to them about basic life skills and health management
- Teach them health and hygiene, use of health kits, unwanted pregnancy, and sexual health, and human anatomy
- Assist local families through outreach activities and tasks, including education, gardening and building work
- Raise awareness about the reality of the HIV/AIDS virus, preventative techniques, and treatment possibilities.
- Volunteers are expected to work 5 days a week with evenings and weekends free.
- Desire to teach adults and adolescent girls
- Enthusiastic and friendly with local women and girls
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity as you can exchange western culture
- Ready to travel anywhere and work hard to impact the community initiatives.
BENEFITS OF VOLUNTEERING:
- Develop a global perspective and understanding of educational systems abroad
- Able to sit down with other volunteers and share ideas of what works best in the classroom
- Receive a comprehensive, tried and tested teaching guide and resources with ideas and advice from us, which takes you through beginner and intermediate lessons
- We also arrange regular in-country workshops to provide training, new ideas, and feedback from our teaching project volunteers
- As an individual, if you want to start as an English and computer teacher in India, it is so easy.
- This is also an excellent opportunity for you to improve your planning curriculum, prepare teaching lessons, and build confidence, communication and teaching skills
- You will be very open to embrace the culture- it’s a fantastic one
- Advance your technical skills through working with organizations on web development, database management, and software development.
- Acquire a global resume and open the doors to the technology industry
- See a different culture, learn a new language and get completely immersed in local life
- Gather information, build skills, improve your knowledge and develop your personal and professional skills while adding to your CV
More about your volunteering fee, what’s 'included’ and 'not included’ in your fee, please click here.
If you are inspired in any one of our projects, please apply now.
Any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Child Care
- Basic Computer Skills
- Sports Coaching
- Youth Services
- General Education
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum 2 to 8 weeks and Maximum 12 weeks from Apr
- Apply before 2-3 months advance, as Visa processing takes longer than expected time.
- Tefl And Teaching Projects Abroad
- Child Care Projects in India
- Group Volunteering Projects Abroad
- Volunteering Projects Abroad
- Social Work Internships for...
- Housing and construction project...
- Summer Break Volunteering in India
- Agriculture and Farming Projects...
- Building and Community...
- Medical Elective for Students...
- Medicine and Healthcare...
- Volunteer in Microfinance and...
- Teaching English and Computer...
- Women’s Empowerment Projects