Location of Project : Bangalore city and the rural district of the state of Tamilnadu
Project Length: Minimum 2 week - Maximum 12 weeks
Arrival Airport: Bangalore International Airport
Types of care projects : Teacher Training for TEFL Certification, Teaching English, Computer Basics and other subjects in local schools, and communities.
Age of children : Infants to 17 years old
Role : Assisting local staff by playing with children, teaching basic lessons in literacy and numeracy, and giving general help
Start dates : Flexible
Number of Participants : Up to 15 international volunteers
Age : 17 years old and older
Age Exceptions : This project accepts volunteers who are 17 years old and younger with a letter of consent from a parent or guardian.
Visa : Apply 2-3 months advance, as Visa processing takes longer than expected time.
The main goal of this project is to promote the idea that younger generations are the most determinative factor in the future growth of a nation. Our kindergarten and local govt run schools provide English language exposure, Basic computer skills and cultural exchange opportunities as a means of broadening the children’s horizons. The project also aids in providing support and assistance to the kindergarten teachers who are faced with large classes and a great deal of administrative work.
Speaking English and knowing the basic techniques of utilizing a computer is an invaluable skill that opens the door to future prospects and opportunities. This kindergarten aims to start teaching English at a young age, between 2-4 years old, so they too will have a better chance to succeed in their future careers.
At Kenosis we believe that every child deserves an education. Every day across the developing world, our volunteers are shaping futures by participating in teaching projects. Whether you are new to the field or have some experience, every volunteer teacher has something to offer. You can teach abroad as part of a gap year, a study break, or a career break and we also welcome retirees.
If teaching English, basics in computer competencies or any other subjects (math, social science, history, etc.) have been your passion, you will enjoy sharing your expertise as a volunteer in India. As an English or computer skills teacher, you will enjoy working with partner institutions and on independent projects.
You will find students who are eager to learn and who are excited to be taught by people from abroad and in a productive learning environment. You will love the atmosphere and it will be an exciting time for you to expand your own horizons by helping children polishes their skills while you improve your own teaching and communication proficiencies.
Most of the students are from rural villages and impoverished urban communities, who do not a sound knowledge of computer basics and English. Here volunteers work with the specific aim to rectify this and create opportunities for these individuals.
Most of the schools in the villages have a small number of students; therefore you will not be exhausted as one would be in learning institutions with higher numbers of learners. The numbers are manageable and again the students are eager to learn. They appreciate being taught by native English speakers where they learn the language in an original setting unlike in their rural setting where it is influenced by the local accents.
You do not have to be an English or computer teacher to volunteer in this program, given that it is only an attempt to give the children a different perspective of the language, one is not required to offer an in-depth knowledge of English grammar and basics of computer skills, all that is needed is accuracy and a willingness to motivate the children to improve their English speaking, reading, and writing skills, and also computer skills.
Study materials are provided in the Kenosis volunteer house, but for those who may have their own, they are encouraged to bring them along.
Working as an English and computer teacher in India is an opportunity to sharpen your skills and also help the less privileged children in society. It is also an opportunity to inspire children, and motivates them to learn the English and work hard in their studies. Children love to learn from an individual from abroad. Volunteers teach them with fun and creative methods, so they become more interested in learning English and using computers.
- Teach independently, with a partner or assist local teachers
- Work in schools, community groups or one-to-one
- Be a role model for the children
- Raise awareness of the need for regular schooling
- The number of lessons per week that you will teach varies depending on the country and the school you will work with.
- In some countries, you will be expected to be at school throughout the working day, though you may only teach two or three classes-- In other cases, you may just teach in the mornings
- You will have time to prepare lessons and correct students’ work; we encourage you to make the most of this time
- As a volunteer teacher, depending on your skills and interests, you are also welcome to teach other subjects.
- You could find yourself teaching math, science, geography, etc.
- Many volunteers choose to help out with extra-curricular activities like art, dance, sports, drama, or music
- Many of your students would not normally have access to these kinds of activities, so this experience would benefit them enormously
- Giving students a chance to develop their skills and creativity will also help boost their confidence and quality of life.
- You will improve the lives of others through education
- You can be a youth ambassador by professionally, teaching languages and global issues in formal educational institutions
The majority of our standard teaching projects do not have background requirements. You do not need to be a professional teacher, have a TEFL or TESOL qualification, or speak the local language. It is more important that you can:
- Use the resources at your disposal to create fun, interactive lessons that encourage students to speak English
- Help your students improve their conversational skills, along with correcting intonation and pronunciation
- Support the skill of local teachers by helping them with their own English and teaching basic computer hardware and software skills
- Create resources that future volunteers can use to further students’ education
- Be organized, on time, enthusiastic and cultural sensitivity
- You need a sound knowledge of English grammar and basics of computer hardware and software skills
- Also, need to be interested in meeting new people
Benefits of teaching:
- Develop a global perspective and understanding of educational systems abroad
- Able to sit down with other volunteers and share ideas of what works best in the classroom
- Receive a comprehensive, tried and tested teaching guide and resources with ideas and advice from us, which takes you through beginner and intermediate lessons
- We also arrange regular in-country workshops to provide training, new ideas, and feedback from our teaching project volunteers
- As an individual, if you want to start as an English and computer teacher in India, it is so easy.
- This is also an excellent opportunity for you to improve your planning curriculum, prepare teaching lessons, and build confidence, communication and teaching skills
- You will be very open to embrace the culture- it’s a fantastic one
- Advance your technical skills through working with organizations on web development, database management, and software development.
- Acquire a global resume and open the doors to the technology industry
- See a different culture, learn a new language and get completely immersed in local life
- Gather information, build skills, improve your knowledge and develop your personal and professional skills while adding to your CV
- Get a certificate or a letter of work experience at the end of your volunteering in teaching projects
- TEFL and Teaching Placements are suitable for people who wish to teach and live in fascinating countries such as India, and experience the real culture and life there
More about your volunteering fee, what’s 'included’ and 'not included’ in your fee, please click here.
If you are inspired in any one of our projects, please apply now.
Any questions, please contact us at email@example.com
- American Sign Language
- Child Care
- Basic Computer Skills
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- General Education
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 17
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum 2 weeks - Maximum 12 weeks
- Apply 2-3 months advance, as Visa processing takes longer than expected time.
- Tefl And Teaching Projects Abroad
- Child Care Projects in India
- Group Volunteering Projects Abroad
- Volunteering Projects Abroad
- Social Work Internships for...
- Housing and construction project...
- Summer Break Volunteering in India
- Agriculture and Farming Projects...
- Building and Community...
- Medical Elective for Students...
- Medicine and Healthcare...
- Volunteer in Microfinance and...
- Teaching English and Computer...
- Women’s Empowerment Projects