The Service Learning Program consists of morning classroom instruction through one-on-one language and afternoon practical work based in one of our social aid programs. Working directly with communities increases the desire to learn the Spanish language and the classroom time allows participants to be more effective in their social work.
For more information about our social aid programs and the different types of voluntary placement, please visit the website (http://inepas.org/spanish-school/service-learning/) or contact us.
Requirements of Service Learning
- An intermediate level of Spanish (study on-site to reach that level before starting the Service Learning Program - http://inepas.org/spanish-school/immersion-program/).
- Professional experience or current student status, preferably in social work, medicine, psychology or teaching.
- A four-week commitment. However, for both the volunteer and the community to get the most out of a placement, we recommend a longer period of time.
What is free and what you pay
Volunteering itself is FREE. Nevertheless Spanish classes and accommodation (home-stay families are available) need to be paid. A financial donation is asked for the two-week period training which includes:
- A presentation on the Social Aid Department of INEPAS.
- Visits to places of cultural interest in and around Quetzaltenango.
- Films or documentaries of political, socio-economic and cultural interest.
- Lectures and conferences on a variety of subjects, with the purpose of informing the student on the main issues of Guatemala.
- One-to-one talks on important customs and traditions in rural communities.
- Presentation of the student to the rural community.
- Sample Schedule of a Service Learning student.
More information on: http://inepas.org/spanish-school/prices/.
- Child Care
- Basic Computer Skills
- Teaching / Instruction
- Customer Acquisition
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- At least four weeks.