Since 1981, ESC has been empowering nonprofit leaders and their organizations to better achieve their missions through high quality, affordable coaching and consulting delivered by executive-level volunteers. Services include executive coaching, strategic planning and implementation, board development, fund development, retreat and meeting facilitation, and other tailored management consulting. We train and support our volunteers so they can use their extensive professional experience to benefit nonprofit organizations and the greater Los Angeles community.
ESC’s 100+ volunteer consultants are passionate about helping nonprofits. They come from diverse professional backgrounds, with senior management experience in business, nonprofit organizations, academia, and government. Their experience, combined with ESC’s extensive training, turns their commitment to community service into transformational results for our clients.
Volunteer consultants are matched with clients on an as-needed basis. They uniformly demonstrate dedication to the nonprofit community by applying a client-centered approach, supporting diversity, employing patience, using active listening, sharing a desire to continue their learning, and having a deep commitment to client confidentiality.
ESC is proactively looking to diversify our volunteer corps. Prospective candidates that possess these qualities and/or identities are strongly encouraged to apply:
- People of color
- Nonprofit executive experience
- Training/facilitation experience
- Social justice/community organizing experience
- HR background
- Home residence in East San Gabriel Valley/Claremont/Pomona area
- Home residence in South Los Angeles
- Attained senior management positions in their profession(s), with significant leadership experience as well as high-level content skills in key areas (planning, finance, fund development, human resources, organizational development, operations, etc.).
- Availability to commit to 16-20 hours every month to each long-term engagement to which they are assigned. Must be open to taking on more than one consulting engagement at a time.
- Commit to a minimum of 2-3 years of service to ESC and clients.
- Ability to meet the client at their location site for in-person meetings.
- Attend ESC’s extensive initial basic training workshops as part of the onboarding process, and attend as many continuing education workshops as possible.
- Experience or history of involvement with nonprofits in either a volunteer and/or Board capacity a plus.
- Understands, appreciates and is capable of using a coaching modality approach to consulting
- Superb relationship builder; establishes credibility and trust quickly
- Culturally competent; values and has experience with diverse constituencies
- Strong judgment and problem-solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, written and presentation communication skills
- Team player willing to adjust, fill in for others, and be flexible to help the consulting engagement move forward
To enhance the volunteer experience, ESC hosts quarterly social opportunities for consultants, including signature annual events such as State of ESC, Esprit de Corps, Day in LA, and our Volunteer Recognition Luncheon. ESC is also committed to supporting our volunteer consultants to advance their skills in nonprofit consulting by providing continuing education workshops throughout the year. All active consultants are strongly encouraged to attend these events and workshops regularly.
If interesed in the opportunity, please send Meghan (email@example.com) a short paragraph describing your interest and qualifications. Thank you!
- Executive Admin
- Sales Coaching & Training
- Career Counseling / Coaching
- Group Facilitation
- Professional Development
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 16-20 hours a month
- Executive level experience. Retired or has a flexible work schedule