TechGYRLS STEM Coordination Team Intern
11 people are interested
Locations: YWCA Silicon Valley, Linda Haskell Empowerment Center, 375 South Third Street, San Jose, CA 95112, and one or more elementary, middle, or high schools in the San Jose Unified School District, Alum Rock School District, and/or the East Side Union High School District.
Purpose: Proactively participate in the YWCA Silicon Valley’s mission - to eliminate racism, empower women, and promote peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all - by coordinating a diverse range of empowering experiences to provide girls with opportunities to increase their skills and confidence in the fields of science, technology, engineering and math, in collaboration with the San Jose State University Girls STEM Network Computer Science Curriculum Program.
* Provide direction, instruction, support, and guidance to facilitate hands-on STEM/Computer Science education to YWCA’s TechGYRLS Program participants.
* Support the engagement of girls in curriculum to stimulate a deeper interest in technology using critical thinking, time management, teamwork, problem solving, leadership, and presentation skills.
* Commit to leading/co-leading a minimum of one weekly on-site classroom instructional experience as arranged with the Supervisor.
* Participate in the planning, coordination and hosting of Special Events, Field Trips and Small Projects.
* Attend Team Meetings, and communicate on a regular basis with Supervisor.
* Work in compliance with all legal, organizational, and departmental policies.
* Experience working with children ages 8 - 18 in a STEM/Computer Science education capacity.
Demonstrated commitment to empowering youth, and desire to engage in STEM education.
* Ability to work as a member of a team, be open to feedback, and seek input from others.
* Ability to work with/support individuals from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
* Ability to be non-judgmental, open, honest and calm, and maintain professional boundaries.
Training & Other Requirements:
* Completion of orientation sessions to develop comfort in classroom management, STEM/Computer Science education, and the San Jose State University Girls STEM Network Computer Science Curriculum.
* Clearance on a background check, including DOJ & FBI fingerprinting.
* Tuberculosis Test documentation.
* A valid California Driver License and a reliable and insured DMV registered vehicle.
* Preferred but not required (mandatory for driving on behalf of the YWCA to perform agency business): i) A minimum of 4 years driving experience, ii) vehicle insurance with a single limit liability of $100,000 for Bodily Injury and $100,000 for Property Damage, and (iii) the satisfactory completion of a Motor Vehicle Record Check.
* Completion of all policies and procedures documentation.
Time Commitment: 10+ hours of service per week (post-orientation).
Required: Must be available 2:00pm - 5:30pm at least one weekday, to be onsite at a school location AND be available to attend Team Meetings.
Stipend: $75 paid each pay period. Pay dates are on the 15th of each month and the last day of each month.
Contact: Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in the opportunity or have any questions!
YWCA Silicon Valley is an equal opportunity provider and does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender/gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, immigration status, socio-economic status, familial/marital status, veteran status, medical status, being differently-able, or any other basis prohibited by law.
We'll work with your schedule.
375 South Third StreetSan Jose, CA 95112
- Teaching / Instruction
- Computer Science
- Youth Services
- Math / Science Instruction
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 10 hours/week